f661244n

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
Hey ,

I am building a new extreme system.

I just want to know from if i am making any mistakes or missing any pieces with my build. This is only my second build.

CPU: intel i7 965

Motherboard: EVGA Classified limited edition

Video Cards: Dual Evga GTX 295s

12 GB RAM:CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1866C9DF -

Power Supply: XCLIO GREATPOWER 1200W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

2x Hard Drives: 1) Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB 10000 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM

2)Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drives - OEM

Blu-ray dvd-rw: LG Black Super Multi Blu-ray Disc Burner & HD DVD-ROM Drive SATA Model GGW-H20L - Retail
Any advice for a case? cooling? PCI/ Wifi? Anything i need to know?

Thanks for the help

Helloworld_98

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
1) you have too much cash.

2) if you don't want to OC then wait for the 975 EE, if you're going to overclock then get a 920 and spend the extra money on the best water cooling setup you can afford.

3) the i7's can't run 6 ram modules at any clock speed above 1333mhz so save yourself some money.

4) a Corsair 1000HX will do the job if you don't go for my idea.

5) VRaptor's aren't worth it, just get a couple of 1TB drives instead as you'll only lose a few MB/s on the read/write but you get a lot more storage and it costs less.

6) for a case you'll need an E-ATX case, so look at the coolermaster HAF 932 and the atsc 840.

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009

yeah i think i agree with just about all of that. Dude you have way too much money :) not a bad thing but i wouldn't put it into an i7 965...

Like helloworld said, I would either wait for the 975 or just get the 920 and OC it well. You aren't going to see any more (noticeable) performance in the 965, and you will save a good $700. For the extremist, i would go liquid all the way. i have no advice on the matter, however. I guess if you found yourself not technically able you could pay someone to do it for you.

I have heard before that quad sli is not well optimized yet. i have heard that tri sli might not even be that optimized yet (of course some games take better advantage then others). With that in mind, I myself would probably go tri-SLI gtx 285's. I would sell them when the new GPU's came out and get those. I've been through these forums and i have heard (but i cannot confirm) that presently, three 285's will outpace 2 295's (depending on what you play).

For the amount of GPU power you want to push, i would definitely recommend the Corsair 1000HX
If this is only your second build, then you better be one freakin hard core gamer! otherwise that's just frustrating...

I have also heard the v-raptors aren't worth it. i would suggest two WD caviar blacks (pick your size)

I also like the HAF 932. plenty of room for the next few thousand dollars you want to put into this system and very good cooling. It will probably be very, very loud but i bet you can afford to buy a nice speaker system to drown it out :)

Someone else can take over on the other parts. I myself have only looked into the mid-high range, not the extreme. Therefore i probably can't be much help, because i would be looking at price/performance more than extremism lol Good luck to you though. This will be a killer system.

f661244n

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
Thanks for your help. Im sure I will run in to some problems while im assembling the system, so i will let you know what they are as I go forward.

TRENDING THREADS