Need help with APC Performance SurgeArrest PMF83VT-GR

lorcav123

Commendable
Dec 7, 2017
Hi, I have this protection more than 4 years, everything works ok. On this APC I have connected my PC speakers, my PC and monitor. I have two question for you experts:

1) From the start I bought it Ground OK light doesn't light up when computer is turned on, light is only turned on when computer is turned off, I think it is because old house installation. I tried also on other electrical outlet in my house, same situation. Is that a big deal?

2)Yesterday I connected Hair dryer (1600W) to this APC and when hair dryer is turned on on max level 2, overload light activated on APC. Why is that? When I returned to level 1 light immediately disappeared. Is something wrong with my APC or this is normal behaviour?

LED for Surge protection isn on always.

popatim

Titan
1- Grounded light should stay on; contact an electrician to examine your house wiring. Something is odd there. Possible a gorund loop since you have speakers plugged in as well.

2 - you overloaded the APC, 2300w total max, shared between all the outlets.

3- LED Surge light should always be on. If it goes out, replace the whole unit.

Reactions: lorcav123
Hi, I have this protection more than 4 years, everything works ok. On this APC I have connected my PC speakers, my PC and monitor. I have two question for you experts:

1) From the start I bought it Ground OK light doesn't light up when computer is turned on, light is only turned on when computer is turned off, I think it is because old house installation. I tried also on other electrical outlet in my house, same situation. Is that a big deal?

2)Yesterday I connected Hair dryer (1600W) to this APC and when hair dryer is turned on on max level 2, overload light activated on APC. Why is that? When I returned to level 1 light immediately disappeared. Is something wrong with my APC or this is normal behaviour?

LED for Surge protection isn on always.

It's not a good idea to use high power devices on things like power strips or cheap UPS devices. Connect things like microwaves, heaters, hair dryers, etc... directly to the wall socket.

Reactions: lorcav123

lorcav123

Commendable
Dec 7, 2017
1- Grounded light should stay on; contact an electrician to examine your house wiring. Something is odd there. Possible a gorund loop since you have speakers plugged in as well.

2 - you overloaded the APC, 2300w total max, shared between all the outlets.

3- LED Surge light should always be on. If it goes out, replace the whole unit.

1- Tryed without speakers, same situation, Ground OK disappears when computer is turned ON. So it is probaly old house installation. How bad in this case is protection? In what level APC protects me?

2 - Can APC recognized how much other things connected to him have W even in idle? When overload light activated my PC was in idle so theoretically it should spend much less than 2300W?

My PC: PSU 850W, RX 580, R5 1600, Logitech Z333 (Total watts (RMS): 40 W ) and 27 inch 60hz monitor.
3 - Yes it is always ON so no problems with that.

It's not a good idea to use high power devices on things like power strips or cheap UPS devices. Connect things like microwaves, heaters, hair dryers, etc... directly to the wall socket.

Any advice what protection (nothing to expensive) to use with these devices high power devices? This should be most quality surgearrest model from APC.

Any advice what protection (nothing to expensive) to use with these devices high power devices? This should be most quality surgearrest model from APC.

There is nothing cheap for high current draw devices, look over on APC website and see the ratings or email their support. Why would you want a hairdryer or anything else on a UPS in the first place? When the power goes out drying hair is pretty low on the list of things to worry about.

lorcav123

Commendable
Dec 7, 2017
There is nothing cheap for high current draw devices, look over on APC website and see the ratings or email their support. Why would you want a hairdryer or anything else on a UPS in the first place? When the power goes out drying hair is pretty low on the list of things to worry about.

It is surgearrest not UPS. I was thinking to protect things like refrigerator and other major appliance devices. I will get in contact with APC support. Do you know maybe answer on my second question in my previous post?