[SOLVED] Need help with audio setup for Mac Mini

leedis

Reputable
Sep 6, 2017
Like many, I'm currently working from home and have a 2014 Mac Mini set up behind my work desk (the Mac is my home computer). I would like to start listening to music while working, but do not want to use headphones. The Mac is currently hooked up to a monitor with crappy speakers. Without spending a ton of money (say $500 budget) I'd like to get some decent sound of the system. I plan to stream music. One option seems to be to buy a set of "computer" speakers (with built in amp), like the Audioengine A2+. If I go that route, does it make sense to get a better external DAC (I know some speakers have a built-in DAC)? I also happen to have a pair of older Advent bookshelf speakers not doing anything. If I wanted to use them, is the best route to get a receiver (with bluetooth) to drive them?

Sorry for the dumb questions but my normal listening is with Vandersteen speakers driven my Bryston amp/preamp and a CD player (unfortunately located on the other side of the house). Sadly I've ignored the progress in streaming audio until now.

Solution
Just use the Mac sound card, connect it to any speaker you want, including your Advent speakers through an amp or receiver with aux input.