[SOLVED] Need help with budget gaming PC!

Dec 18, 2019
Okay so I have 275 bucks to spend, all gaming pc's from craigslist to fb marketplace to amazon are crazy priced. So that being said I was going to buy a normal pc off amazon and transfer my RX 580 8gb or my R7 370 4gb to the PC. I also have a 660W PSU So I wont be able to use the RX580 more than likely. give me your opinions on what I should buy to budget myself! I was going to purchase a dell optiplex 9020 which has a I7 2600k and 16gb ram. Link to the PC is here for reference

https://www.amazon.com/790-TW-Win10...tronics&sprefix=Dell+op,electronics,-1&sr=1-4

with that I was going to open it up and put in my R7 370 4GB and replace the PSU if needed because it doesn't state what kind of PSU it has. If someone looks at it or knows can you inform me on the PSU Wattage of this PC and if It is compatable with my R7 370 or if I am able to put my 660W PSU into it? Other than that, give me your best ideas for a decent gaming rig for a budget please!

Solution
The right cable will look something like this.

PCIE-862FF-XX-PCI-Express-8p-Female-to-6p-Female-2p-Female-Power-Adapter-Cable-004.jpg

It's also important to only use cables that come with the power supply or are specifically sold to be compatible with that exact power supply model. Modular cables are only standardized on the side that goes into the GPU or the motherboard, not on the side that goes into the power supply.
Dec 18, 2019
I'm debating on buying the PC or just buying a MSI B450M Gaming plus micro atx mobo with a amd ryzen 2600 cpu and 1 16 gb corsair vengence ram piece. both are about the same price should I just buy the parts itself or the pc?

Jan 12, 2020
It is a micro atx mobo as well as the msi mobo i am debating on
since you already have the Rx 580 i would recommend getting a new cpu/mobo/ddr4 ram,
slap the Gpu on and put them in your existing pc case,
also better to have 2x 8gb ram for dual channel mode (faster as they work together instead of dumping all the work on one ram stick)

my recommendadions for this budget is ryzen 7 2700 + 16 gb g.skill ripjaws 3200 mhz and the ASrock b450 pro4 mobo

in total it runs 295 bucks.
if that doesnt meet your budget then replace the 2700 with a 2600

then later on you could buy a rx 5700/Xt Gpu, they are pretty cheap and offer great performance

Reactions: acidpoptart
What is the exact hardware of the existing system you are coming from?

With $275, it might be worth looking at just a CPU, motherboard and RAM, and reusing things like drives, the case and so on.

I also have a 660W PSU So I wont be able to use the RX580 more than likely.
An RX 580 will typically not draw much more than 200 watts under load, so the entire power draw of a system like that would probably never exceed 400 watts from the PSU. Seasonic power supplies are typically rather good, so I wouldn't expect there to be any problem with a 660 watt model. I would definitely go with the RX 580, as it should be more than twice as fast as an R7 370.

Dec 18, 2019
since you already have the Rx 580 i would recommend getting a new cpu/mobo/ddr4 ram,
slap the Gpu on and put them in your existing pc case,
also better to have 2x 8gb ram for dual channel mode (faster as they work together instead of dumping all the work on one ram stick)

my recommendadions for this budget is ryzen 7 2700 + 16 gb g.skill ripjaws 3200 mhz and the ASrock b450 pro4 mobo

in total it runs 295 bucks.
if that doesnt meet your budget then replace the 2700 with a 2600

then later on you could buy a rx 5700/Xt Gpu, they are pretty cheap and offer great performance
Done n done i made my decision im going with the ryzen 2600 cpu with my msi b450m gaming plus mobo and 2 8gb rams instead of the pc in general. and my psu doesnt have a pin slot for the rx 580 sadly.

Jan 12, 2020
It is a micro atx mobo as well as the msi mobo i am debating on
just like "Cryoburner" said, your psu i definetly cabable of handling that hardware no problem.
later on just get a 750w psu and a Rx 5700/ xt with the triple coolers (Not the single Blower fan crap)
and after that you can focus on a decent case maybe some AIO watercooler for the cpu and throw in a couple of RGB light strips for that extra FPS xD

Jan 12, 2020
Done n done i made my decision im going with the ryzen 2600 cpu with my msi b450m gaming plus mobo and 2 8gb rams instead of the pc in general. and my psu doesnt have a pin slot for the rx 580 sadly.
i would try to get the ryzen 7 2700 for
"Futureproofing"

My setup is like this

Ryzen 7 2700 overclocked with an AIO cooler with 2 240mm fans Overclock to 4ghz maxing at 55 temps in modern warfare and other resource heavy games,

Rx 5700 Stock speed ATM and an arctic cooling triple fan cooler bought seperately since i by mistake bought the Gpu with that <Mod Edit> blower fan

650 W PSU

2x8 gb Corsair Vengance DDr4 OC to 3200 mhz

I Run Cod mw, Outer worlds, Just cause 4 , RDR4 getting stable 60fps
most graphic settings are maxed out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 18, 2019
I'm wondering about the PSU too. There are only a few 660W SeaSonics and they all come with far more than enough cables.
My bad everyone, I forgot; It does in fact have a 8pin slot, however it didn't fit in my rx580 for some reason, and when i got it to go in somewhat my PC would not turn on. So I did something stupid one day being a noob pc builder; I ended up trying to put the 8 pin into the GPU with the PC on (I know stupid) that being said a shock emitted from the 8 pin reciever end of the GPU, now one of the pins in the RX580's 8pin slot is somewhat blackened and not that gold bronze color anymore. Is it still in working condition or do you guys think she's a goner?

DSzymborski

Titan
My bad everyone, I forgot; It does in fact have a 8pin slot, however it didn't fit in my rx580 for some reason, and when i got it to go in somewhat my PC would not turn on. So I did something stupid one day being a noob pc builder; I ended up trying to put the 8 pin into the GPU with the PC on (I know stupid) that being said a shock emitted from the 8 pin reciever end of the GPU, now one of the pins in the RX580's 8pin slot is somewhat blackened and not that gold bronze color anymore. Is it still in working condition or do you guys think she's a goner?

This is pretty importnat information!

It sounds like you didn't use the right cable. The right cable would have 6 pins plus 2 additional pins hanging off. The other side would have to go into the power supply. If you used the wrong cable, the pinouts are wrong and very bad things can happen.

The only way to test is to connect it properly. I would guess that the GPU is dead now, however.

DSzymborski

Titan

PCIE-862FF-XX-PCI-Express-8p-Female-to-6p-Female-2p-Female-Power-Adapter-Cable-004.jpg

It's also important to only use cables that come with the power supply or are specifically sold to be compatible with that exact power supply model. Modular cables are only standardized on the side that goes into the GPU or the motherboard, not on the side that goes into the power supply.

Solution
Dec 18, 2019

I did not know this dang!

Dec 18, 2019

Thank you for this, I did not know you needed the 4 pin with the 2 pin extension which I have, i was using the 8 pin that was directed into my PSU and not plugged in, im installing the drivers now :)

TRENDING THREADS