[SOLVED] Need help with buying a used CPU!

chiken_VEVO

Commendable
Sep 28, 2019
Hey everyone. I don't know if it's appropriate to ask here, but I've been thinking of buying a used Ryzen 7 3700X if I can get a good enough deal. For context, in my country the cheapest you can normally get this CPU for (new) is 280 euros or 340 dollars.

A few hours after posting I was approached by a user claiming to have a unit that he wants to sell to get a 5600X after using it for about a year with an AIO. He has never overclocked the CPU. He also still has the box, the stock cooler and will transfer the warranty.

I don't really have any reason not to trust this person, as I can see they've been really active on this website, which is one of the biggest in my country for selling/buying used stuff.

Still though, I want to ask everyone here in advance. What price would be realistic for this CPU and based on the above specifications? Additionally and since I don't really want to go to this guy's house and test it, what stress/benchmarking software should I tell him to run in order to get a good enough image of the CPU? I'm mainly interested in voltages and load temps, but should there be anything else I should pay attention at? Any other tip when it comes to buying used CPUs in general?

Thank you all so much in advance!

Solution
Yes of course we'll meet in person so I'll check the pins as well!
Meeting in person is great because most people won't lie to one's face unless they are criminally minded from the get-go. Then they will either flat-out lie on questions or evade them. Don't ignore your instinct--if something seems not right. Pause the transaction or walk away completely.

I've been burned about a dozen times over the last decade or so, but it mainly happened when I didn't ask the right questions with someone shady. Only once did I get burned in person, again for not asking the right questions and ignoring my instinct.

Lutfij

Titan
You could use a depreciation calculator but sometimes the numbers you get are unrealistic. You could offer him about 1/3 off the original price considering he used it for a year(where I live the warranty on the processor + motherboard is 3 years).

Be sure to look for a B550 chipset motherboard or an A520 chipset at the very least, to pair with that processor.

In general it seems like the most important thing to look at for a used amd cpu is if the pins are in perfect condition or not. Also, just talk to the guy and feel him out like a real person to see if they're shady or not. Generally I've found that most people that act real are real. :)

chiken_VEVO

Commendable
Sep 28, 2019
You could offer him about 1/3 off the original price considering he used it for a year

Yep. I was thinking of offering about 200 euros (240 USD) for the CPU.

(where I live the warranty on the processor + motherboard is 3 years).

Yep the same is true here as well.

Be sure to look for a B550 chipset motherboard or an A520 chipset at the very least, to pair with that processor.

I've got a new Asus X570 Prime-P MOBO to pair with it! Thanks for the help!

In general it seems like the most important thing to look at for a used amd cpu is if the pins are in perfect condition or not.

Meeting in person is great because most people won't lie to one's face unless they are criminally minded from the get-go. Then they will either flat-out lie on questions or evade them. Don't ignore your instinct--if something seems not right. Pause the transaction or walk away completely.

I've been burned about a dozen times over the last decade or so, but it mainly happened when I didn't ask the right questions with someone shady. Only once did I get burned in person, again for not asking the right questions and ignoring my instinct.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS