[SOLVED] Need help with cat6 low download speeds

Ttesar06

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013
So I have a cat6 cable I’ve bought straight from my cable modem to pc I was getting consistent 150-160mbps. But the cord was across the house on the floor so I decided to run it to the basement and Back upstairs into the computer room. So I cut one end off so I didn’t have to have a huge hole in the floor ran it to the basement and back up into my computer room. Put on a rj45 connector and it works, I only get 1/2 the speed I was before tho. 75-80mbps.

I connect to WiFi and do speed test on my phone it gets about 140mbps. Is it the cable that’s the issue? My connector? Or what. I matched the wiring order on the opposite end of the cable as well so they are the same 568A

This is what I used. It’s a 3 piece connector which I’ve never used before. Has a part that divides the cables then an end piece that goes over the end of the wires then into the connector and crimp. I’ve replaced 4x every time it gets 75-80mbps effectively 50% speed from before.

White orange
Orange
White green
Blue
White blue
Green
White brown
Brown

Is the order I used and it appears the same on both ends.

Solution
You have the order correct. Cables are tricky to make sometimes. You likely are only getting a 100mbps connection. This generally means that the blue or brown pair has a issue. It makes little difference because you have to redo all the wires when crimp on ends. It take something as simple as the wire just slightly not making good contact with the ends.

Note if you are using that flat or thin cable you need very special connectors that are hard to get.

I would buy a keystone jack since this is a semi permanent install. It is much easier for a beginner to get those correct since you do 1 wire at a time and can pull it out and redo it. You would then use a short commercial cable to go from the jack to your pc.
You have the order correct. Cables are tricky to make sometimes. You likely are only getting a 100mbps connection. This generally means that the blue or brown pair has a issue. It makes little difference because you have to redo all the wires when crimp on ends. It take something as simple as the wire just slightly not making good contact with the ends.

Note if you are using that flat or thin cable you need very special connectors that are hard to get.

I would buy a keystone jack since this is a semi permanent install. It is much easier for a beginner to get those correct since you do 1 wire at a time and can pull it out and redo it. You would then use a short commercial cable to go from the jack to your pc.

Solution

Ttesar06

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013

I’ll try that thanks.