Need help with Chassis Fan Selection

Moondoggy

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
I'm looking for some good advice regarding chassis fans.

I'm about to build my first system from scratch and the system is going to include an ASUS P6T mobo and an Intel Core I7-920 CPU. The case I purchased was an Ultra X-Blaster case that has the side chimney for the CPU. The case has a mount for two 120mm x 120mm x 25mm case fans, one in the front and another in the rear but no fans were included with the case. I have to admit that I'm probably a bit overly freaked out about noise as my current system is loud so when it comes to the chassis fans I don't want to put some junky fan (or fans) in the system based on cost alone.

So...Ultra, the case manufacturer makes their own case fan that has the following spec:

Dimensions: 120 x 120 x 25 mm
Rated Voltage: DC 12V
Power Consumption: 3.12 W Max
Fan Speed: 1200-2100 RPM
Airflow: 78.3 CFM
Static Pressure: 2.91 mm/H2O
Bearing Type: Dual Ball Bearing system
Noise: 20.1-33.2 dB(a)
Adapter: 3 to 4 Pin

My concern is whether or not this is an acceptable noise level if one wants to have a very quiet system and your running the P6T with the I7-920 CPU? If this fan might be overly noisy, then what might be a good alternative? Also, should I get two fans or just 1 for the rear and then get a second one later on if I'm running into issues?

Also....My local computer parts store is telling me that I should not use the standard, stock CPU fan that comes with the i7-920 but I don't know if he's just trying to make an extra buck on a alternative CPU fan or not. Any opinion?

Note that I foregt t mention that I'm not a gamer or an overcloker and I'm just buying this high end system as I want a system that has some staying power. I am going to be running a Sapphire Redeon 4850 graphics card in this system however.

Although I've never used the stock CPU heatsink, myunderstanding from reading other folks' posts is that it works fine if you're not overclocking but is fairly loud.

I'm not an overclocker, but I am concerned about noise so I got the ThermalRight HR-01 heatsink with a Scythe Kama PWM fan. It runs at about 1200 rpm and is very quiet, even with the case open.

If you're concerned about noise the I highly recommend the Silent PC Review web site.

TRENDING THREADS