[SOLVED] Need help with choosing a GPU

Feb 14, 2021
I've been away from building a new PC for a very long time, my last system was an LGA775 system about 11 years ago. I wanna ask everyone's opinion on how well the components I've picked out will do for very light gaming, streaming, video edition and so forth. What I really need help with is choosing a decent GPU solution for this build. Also I will be using my Samsung 65inch TV as my monitor and am also trying to figure out if the onboard graphics would suffice right now until I can save up for a decent GPU?? One last thing are the TITAN cards still relevant I know they were once king of PC builds and was just curious if one of those would work well for what I'll be doing with this system??

Specs:Option 1

Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16D-32GVK

MOBO: MSI PRO Z490-A PRO LGA 1200 Intel Z490 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard

Case: Thermaltake Core X71 Tempered Glass Edition Black ATX Gaming Full Tower Tt LCS Certified Gaming Computer Case CA-1F8-00M1WN-02

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K 10-Core 3.7 GHz LGA 1200

PSU: CORSAIR CX750M V2 (2017 Edition) CP-9020154-NA 750W ATX12V v2.4 / EPS12V 2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Semi-Modular Active PFC Power Supply

BOOT OS Drives: 2xRAID-0
SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 500GB PCIe Gen3. X4, NVMe 1.3 V-NAND 3-bit MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V7E500BW

Storage Drives: 2xRAIDO-0 SAMSUNG 870 EVO Series 2.5" 1TB SATA III V-NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-77E1T0B/AM I will also be using these for backups as well.

CPU AIO Cooler: Fractal Design Celsius S36 360mm Silent High Performance Slim Expandable All-In-One CPU Liquid / Water Cooler

Specs: Option 2

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16D-32GVK

MOBO: ASRock Z490 Steel Legend LGA 1200 Intel Z490 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 Full Tower, High-performance Fabric Mesh, Tempered Glass, Dual System/PSU Support, Massive Storage, Digital-RGB Lighting, Black.

CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K Comet Lake 10-Core 3.6 GHz LGA 1200 125W Desktop Processor Intel UHD Graphics 630 - BX8070110850K

PSU: CORSAIR CX750M V2 (2017 Edition) CP-9020154-NA 750W ATX12V v2.4 / EPS12V 2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Semi-Modular Active PFC Power Supply

BOOT OS Drives: 2xRAID-0
SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 500GB PCIe Gen3. X4, NVMe 1.3 V-NAND 3-bit MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V7E500BW

Storage Drives: 2xRAIDO-0 SAMSUNG 870 EVO Series 2.5" 1TB SATA III V-NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-77E1T0B/AM I will also be using these for backups as well.

CPU AIO Cooler: Fractal Design Celsius S36 360mm Silent High Performance Slim Expandable All-In-One CPU Liquid / Water Cooler.

Thanks ahead of time for any replies and help I know I need it definitely.

Last edited:
Solution
Check this out on @Newegg: EVGA GeForce GTX TITAN X 12G-P4-1999-KR 12GB HYBRID GAMING, "All in One" No Hassle Water Cooling, Just Plug and Play Graphics Card https://www.newegg.com/evga-geforce...c=snc-social-_-sr-_-9SIAE8D8HT4723-_-02212021

That is the one that I was looking at but of course now it's out of stock, oh well, I would love to have the 3060 however I haven't been able to find one in stock anywhere and trust me my hand has gone numb from scrolling and looking on my phone LMAO. Ok what about the 1080Ti's are those still decent for my uses or are they obsolete now as well?? I just need something for what I stated I'm...
Raid 0 on ssd is absolutely not worth it.

So rethink your drive configuration is my advice.

Also with those components go for a better psu than the cxm, they deserve it.

Gpu is entirely dependant on your budget and expectations - you can put whatever you want in there, there will be no bottlenecks.

I prefer the phanteks case personally, has slightly better cooling options imo.

Difference between the two cpu's is absolutely minimal.

Reactions: TubbyTubb
Feb 14, 2021
How is this for the PSU?? CORSAIR RM Series RM850 CP-9020196-NA 850W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Power Supply

I'll probably play around with the NVME stuff just to see what's better, plus the reason I wanna got with the raid for the storage driver is so that the loads times are better opposed to just having a single hard drive. I'm looking at probably between 5-700 for a GPU solution. What about using the onboard video to save up for a better card???

How is this for the PSU?? CORSAIR RM Series RM850 CP-9020196-NA 850W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Power Supply

I'll probably play around with the NVME stuff just to see what's better, plus the reason I wanna got with the raid for the storage driver is so that the loads times are better opposed to just having a single hard drive. I'm looking at probably between 5-700 for a GPU solution. What about using the onboard video to save up for a better card???
Go for the RMx. The RM seems to have issues when used with RTX3080’s or 3090’s. It’s not the wattage that’s the problem but it’s ability to handle very fast significant spikes of power. There have been countless threads on here with people having issues.

I will let others reply about the Titan but I think even for video editing the 3080 & 3090 are much better. The 3090 is supposed to be a Titan replacement hence the 24 GB VRAM.

Feb 14, 2021
I'll look into that now, told ya I've been out of the game for a while lol. I would love to have a 3080 or a 3090 but considering how I haven't been able to find one anywhere on the internet that's why I'm looking at other cards. Oh and MadMatt30 would this drive be better for the OS drive: Seagate Firecuda 520 1TB Performance Internal Solid State Drive SSD PCIe Gen4 X4 NVMe 1.3?? I'm just trying to get the best that I can afford with my budget of roughly 2K.

Feb 14, 2021
I have the RMx added to my wishlist now. I also think I'm gonna go with the 520Fire Cuda after reading how incredibly fast it is and I'll go with the 1TB just to have a little extra room compared to the 512Gb version. The GPU is pretty much the last piece of the puzzle that I need to figure out.

With this basic build in mind how well would 2 GTX970's work in SLI??

Sli isn't really worth it for your stated uses, you're not going to make use of it and in gaming titles it doesn't really work that well nowadays.

At the right price a single 970 is a more sensible option.

Everything revolves around getting a gpu at the right price at the moment.

I wouldn't pay more than $100 for something like a 970, irregardless of the current gpu price hikes.

Feb 14, 2021
Sli isn't really worth it for your stated uses, you're not going to make use of it and in gaming titles it doesn't really work that well nowadays.

At the right price a single 970 is a more sensible option.

Everything revolves around getting a gpu at the right price at the moment.

I wouldn't pay more than $100 for something like a 970, irregardless of the current gpu price hikes.
Ok thanks so much for the reply I really appreciate it. Like I said in original post I haven't had a system since my LGA775 build and I had 2 5770's in Xfire and it performed really well, I use to do a lot of competitions with overclocking stuff. So although I have good skills on building and tuning stuff I'm having to relearn slot of stuff because of how long it's been since I've got to play with new stuff. So with that being said and given the current market of GPU's being out of stock on most new stuff what GPU would you go for if you had say between $750 and $1000 to spend on one?? I'll ask this again also how well does a Titan perform nowadays, I know it's an older card but from what I've seen it still has some decent specs on it I'm looking at the water-cooled version on Newegg is why I'm asking, I'm open to opinions, I just honestly don't know what to get with the absolute plethora of cards on the market these days and the series numbers that they use confuse the hell out of me to be honest. Thanks again for any and all replies.

Ok thanks so much for the reply I really appreciate it. Like I said in original post I haven't had a system since my LGA775 build and I had 2 5770's in Xfire and it performed really well, I use to do a lot of competitions with overclocking stuff. So although I have good skills on building and tuning stuff I'm having to relearn slot of stuff because of how long it's been since I've got to play with new stuff. So with that being said and given the current market of GPU's being out of stock on most new stuff what GPU would you go for if you had say between $750 and $1000 to spend on one?? I'll ask this again also how well does a Titan perform nowadays, I know it's an older card but from what I've seen it still has some decent specs on it I'm looking at the water-cooled version on Newegg is why I'm asking, I'm open to opinions, I just honestly don't know what to get with the absolute plethora of cards on the market these days and the series numbers that they use confuse the hell out of me to be honest. Thanks again for any and all replies.

The old 2013 maxwell titan isn't worth buying.

The pascal version is about the equivalent of a rtx 2080 which is in turn about the equivalent of a rtx 3060ti.

So yeah those model numbers are confusing.

Really none of those cards should top $550 absolute max but we both know that's not the case at the minute.

The architecture changes between those 3 models means that infact there are swings and roundabouts between the 3 cards depending on usage.

I'm not sure I would entertain a pascal card now because nvidia have always been quick to drop support after 3 generations, that's why you'll see cardsike the old gtx 770 and gtx 970 absolutely obliterated in newer games by the old amd equivalents.

You should be looking at the newest model card you can get for a new build because of this, the 3060ti fits the bill but is still way overpriced at the moment.

It is however in your budget so it's upto you if you want to overspend, anyone building now is in exactly the same boat as you.

Feb 14, 2021
Check this out on @Newegg: EVGA GeForce GTX TITAN X 12G-P4-1999-KR 12GB HYBRID GAMING, "All in One" No Hassle Water Cooling, Just Plug and Play Graphics Card https://www.newegg.com/evga-geforce...c=snc-social-_-sr-_-9SIAE8D8HT4723-_-02212021

That is the one that I was looking at but of course now it's out of stock, oh well, I would love to have the 3060 however I haven't been able to find one in stock anywhere and trust me my hand has gone numb from scrolling and looking on my phone LMAO. Ok what about the 1080Ti's are those still decent for my uses or are they obsolete now as well?? I just need something for what I stated I'm not planning on running anything extremely heavy to be honest my main goals are editing Twitch and maybe some light gaming probably some COD games because those are what I play the most of on my Xbox One right now. Oh and the other question I had asked before is would I be able to use the onboard graphics with either of the CPU'S I put in OP until maybe I could save up and probably have to wait for a better card to be in stock somewhere???

That is the one that I was looking at but of course now it's out of stock, oh well, I would love to have the 3060 however I haven't been able to find one in stock anywhere and trust me my hand has gone numb from scrolling and looking on my phone LMAO. Ok what about the 1080Ti's are those still decent for my uses or are they obsolete now as well?? I just need something for what I stated I'm not planning on running anything extremely heavy to be honest my main goals are editing Twitch and maybe some light gaming probably some COD games because those are what I play the most of on my Xbox One right now. Oh and the other question I had asked before is would I be able to use the onboard graphics with either of the CPU'S I put in OP until maybe I could save up and probably have to wait for a better card to be in stock somewhere???

Yeah you can use the onboard graphics for now with either of those build lists

In fact rather than overpay for a 2 generation old used gpu that's absolutely what I would do myself.

Scalping and general gpu availability has pushed prices through the roof, it may be like this for another 12 months yet.

3060s and the like do come in stock now and then, you just have to be incredibly quick to grab them.

Solution
Feb 14, 2021
Yeah you can use the onboard graphics for now with either of those build lists

In fact rather than overpay for a 2 generation old used gpu that's absolutely what I would do myself.

Scalping and general gpu availability has pushed prices through the roof, it may be like this for another 12 months yet.

3060s and the like do come in stock now and then, you just have to be incredibly quick to grab them.

Ok that's awesome thanks so much. One more thing and I'll leave you alone lol, I know the 3k series is like top of the line BUT, how does the 2k series stack up against other cards including the 3k?? I'm asking just in case it's difficult to find the 3k series and am wanting a backup plan just in case, thanks again.

Ok that's awesome thanks so much. One more thing and I'll leave you alone lol, I know the 3k series is like top of the line BUT, how does the 2k series stack up against other cards including the 3k?? I'm asking just in case it's difficult to find the 3k series and am wanting a backup plan just in case, thanks again.

Rtx 3060 = rtx 2070
Rtx 3060ti = rtx 2080
Rtx 3070 > rtx 2080ti

Rtx 3080 and 3090 don't really have any equivalent.