Question Need help with choosing DDR4 or DDR5 on a Z690 Hero

Ertrius

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2016
Hey all,
I am buying the Asus Z690 Hero mobo and a Intel 12900K CPU. I need some help with choosing DDR4 Or DDR 5. Will DDR4 work with the Z690? If so, what is the sweet spot for each? 5200Mhz for DDR5? 3600Mhz DDR4? I heard DDR4 would be the better choice because of the lower latency over DDR5. And DDR5 is expensive. I hear DDR5 will be the way forward.
Also, are there still any problems with running games on Windows 11?

Ertrius

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2016
That motherboard only takes DDR5. Windows 11 is fine for the most part gaming wise now.

Find memory on here that is tested to work and cross reference with what you want to spend.

Goodluck.

https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-maximus/rog-maximus-z690-hero-model/helpdesk_qvl_memory
Thanks, Captain. I read an article that DDR4 may be the better choice. But, I may have misunderstood that they were probably talking about only mobo`s that can use both DDR4 and 5.

D

Deleted member 362816

Thanks, Captain. I read an article that DDR4 may be the better choice. But, I may have misunderstood that they were probably talking about only mobo`s that can use both DDR4 and 5.

There are some motherboards that can use both right now. But I think those are more of the mid-range ones and the hero is upper end.