Need help with codec pack (help, not criticism, please)

I have a little problem with Windows 2000 and the K-Lite Mega codec
pack 1.01

I uninstalled the previous pack 2.20, upgraded to Media Player 9, then
installed the new pack with playback only config, but now all AVI and
OGM videos show only some horizontal lines. :((((

This happens with any player. I tried to uninstall and reinstall
several times with different options, but nothing changes. The codec
pack works fine on another virgin Windows installation, there is
nothing wrong with the codecs. It looks more like an issue with the
avi splitter or the directshow video renderer.

How can I check if all components are in the right place?
I had a look at the Drivers.desc and Drivers32 registry key, but I
think there are a lot more places to check.

I don't really need multimedia support on this PC (it's used mainly as
a firewall and proxy server), but it's very annoying when things won't
work as they are supposed to. :(

Thank you for help,
TheLuke

loneluke@hotmail.com (TheLuke) wrote:
> I have a little problem with Windows 2000 and the K-Lite Mega codec
> pack 1.01
> all AVI and OGM videos show only some horizontal lines. :((((
> I tried to uninstall and reinstall The codec pack works fine on another
> virgin Windows installation, there is nothing wrong with the codecs.
> How can I check if all components are in the right place?
>
> I don't really need multimedia support on this PC (it's used mainly as
> a firewall and proxy server), but it's very annoying when things won't
> work as they are supposed to. :(

Unchecking "use video mixing renderer" under
options,performance,advanced settings in WMP sometimes fixes some
problems like upside-down pictures or failure to display. The WMP
Mini-FAQ page often has other helpful suggestions:
http://www.nwlink.com/~zachd/pss/pss.html. None of that should help
playback in other programs though.
You probably won't like the next suggestion, but I have seen on many
machines that doing an upgrade to the newer operating system magically
fixes most problems. If you were willing, an in-place upgrade to Win
XP might fix everything. Of course there may be legitimate reasons to
justify not upgrading.
You also mentioned that a clean install with the codec pack works on
another system. That suggests one solution, although possibly
painful. Backup data, wipe the system partition, reinstall Win 2000
and you should be good to go.

Luke

Distinguished
May 24, 2001

On 30 Mar 2004 rocker1@shegolfs.com (Dave Arbok) wrote:

>You also mentioned that a clean install with the codec pack works on
>another system. That suggests one solution, although possibly
>painful. Backup data, wipe the system partition, reinstall Win 2000
>and you should be good to go.

I do have a Symantec Ghost backup image of the system partition (I'm a
wise installer, literally ^_____^), but that doesn't explain the
origin of the problem.

However, I was able to narrow it down:
-the clips play correctly if I force RGB mode in BSPlayer rendering;
-they play wrong with both Overlay mode 1 & 2;
-RGB overlay crashes;
-VMR9 says something's wrong with DirectX 9 or video drivers.

It definitely looks like an issue with the directshow renderer.
The AVI splitter and the codecs seem OK (audio is not affected).
Could it be that DirectX 9 don't get along very well with an old ATI
3D Rage Pro video card?

I was previously using DirectX 8.1, Media Player 7.1 and K-Lite codec
pack 2.20. What changed from DirectX 8.1 to 9 which may have affected
video rendering on old graphic cards? Can this be fixed? Possibly by
some trick, like stuffing older DX components in the system folder
(may not be that wise, though <___<).

Thank you for help,
/_uke

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 22:38:38 GMT, Luke <luke@luke.home> wrote:

>Could it be that DirectX 9 don't get along very well with an old ATI
>3D Rage Pro video card?

That, I cannot say. What I know is my DC10+ card worked flawlessly
under the DirectX 7 that came with the card, but failed when I
installed DirectX 8. When I went back to version 7, it regained its
health.

Isn't DirectX a Microsoft thing? That explains it all to me!

Luke

Distinguished
May 24, 2001

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004, Bariloche <bariloche@bariloche.com> wrote:

>Isn't DirectX a Microsoft thing? That explains it all to me!

That's bad, considering all games ask for the latest beta release of
DX. :)

Bye
/_uke