Need help with comp crashes after blue and yellow lines appear.

BiG_MaC

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
ok last week i was playin call of duty 4 modern warfare 2 when all of a sudden my screen goes black with all kinds of blue dots...... i restarted computer and everything looked fine so i thought okay? maybe i had the reseloution too high... i lowered it and started to play again "has had the game for a while so it cant be that" well i started the game up and got into a game on multiplayer and not even a min after it crashed again. so i left it off for a while and consulted some friends as what to do..... one got the idea to do a system restore i did that today and it worked for about 20 min... then it came back after testing the pixils with starting off watching a vid then moved on to games to see if anything triggered it...note the computer was going very slow before the restore and that was fixed. but now its not runnin slow or anything i just have consant blue and yellow lines..... and still cannot play cod4mw2... any ideas on how to help me out. it would be much appreciated thanks

BiG_MaC

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010

ok checked temps cpu was 41 c the system was 41 also and nforce was 46 c

BiG_MaC

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010

OK installed GPUz. checked temps for GPU its 68.8 how bad is that? ive been checkin other websites and they have been referin to a graphics problem and their sayin it might need a update except its all updated already. my graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX

BiG_MaC

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010

My GPU temp is around 68.8

BiG_MaC

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
i believe idle but i think i may have found the problem cause i checked it out and it sounds like my video card is causeing the problem cause its over clocked. does that sound like that could be the problem?

welshmousepk

Distinguished
if that is an idle temp then yes, its far too hot. you may be OCd too far and generating too much heat.

manually set the fan to 100 percent and see if it still crashes, as well as logging your temps while under load (play crysis for 30 mins or something).

but yes, its certainly heat, most likely caused by the OC. reduce the OC and the heat problem should go away.
did you manually OC this card? if so, you obviously didn't stress test it properly, so you are lucky it didnt recieve any permanent damage.
if its factory OCd, id say return it.