Need help with connecting fans: 5 case fans all using Molex connectors.

RugbyGuy92

Reputable
May 29, 2014
I am using the Apevia X-Hermes case which has 1 front fan, 1 side panel fan, 1 rear fan and 2 top fans. I haven't looked too much at the manual to know which are intake / exhaust but all 5 fans have the 4 pin molex connectors. The MoBo I am using is MSI Z87 GD65. I have read about the adapters but I'm confused as to how they work in regards to what plugs in where. My CPU fan is the Zalman cnps99500a Ultra Quiet and I feel like I might have to remove the side panel fan on the case for it to fit any ways. Anyways, Some help is much appreciated as this is my first build and I seem to have everything else down but this. It can be assumed though, that I know nothing about this topic =P sorry for the scrubness.

Front/side fans are intake, while rear/top fans are exhaust.

If fans using the big chunky 4 pin molex, then connect directly to the molex power cable form the psu.

You can put them in series, if the fans molex have a power pass through, but personally, I hate these type of fans and swap them out for normal 3/4-pin connections to hook up to fan controllers or motherboard headers.

RugbyGuy92

Reputable
May 29, 2014

The MoBo has 3 ports for system fans so I was thinking about just getting 3 adapters (molex to 3 / 4 pin) and hooking them up to the MoBo then using the command center utility so they are controlled by temp. Then, running the remaining 2 in series directly to the PSU. Would this work? And if so, which fans would you recommend connecting to the MoBo / PSU?