[SOLVED] Need help with converting my house into a wired internet connection

Apr 16, 2020
So i have this panel(which i am assuming is for the phone line). I was wondering if there was a way to use the wires displayed as internet connections instead of a phone one. The picture of the cable is to show what is plugged into the input of the panel. Thank you!!
this is the link to the pictures

Solution
Moving the router is likely optional.

The pattern is always -----isp cable--modem--router---switch---end devices.

Lets say the ISP cable comes into the living room. So you connect it to your modem/router and then connect one of the lan port to the ethernet wall jack that goes back to the central closet and the switch.

Now lets say the ISP cable also comes into the central closet. You place the modem/router here and connect it and then you directly connect one of the lan ports to the switch.

It is all pretty much the same you are just using a longer cable (ie the ones in the wall) to connect the router to the switch.

kanewolf

Titan
So i have this panel(which i am assuming is for the phone line). I was wondering if there was a way to use the wires displayed as internet connections instead of a phone one. The picture of the cable is to show what is plugged into the input of the panel. Thank you!!
this is the link to the pictures
Those look like cat5 (or 5e) cables. You should read the printing on the side of the cable to be sure. To use them as ethernet instead of phone, you would need to connect them to a switch and that switch would also need to be connected to your router.
You would get a patch panel and connect those wires to the patch panel. Then use jumper ethernet cables to connect the patch panel to a switch.
You could terminate those wires in RJ45 connectors, but since they look short, a patch panel that can mount in your structured wiring panel would be the best answer.

Reactions: SamirD
Apr 16, 2020
Those look like cat5 (or 5e) cables. You should read the printing on the side of the cable to be sure. To use them as ethernet instead of phone, you would need to connect them to a switch and that switch would also need to be connected to your router.
You would get a patch panel and connect those wires to the patch panel. Then use jumper ethernet cables to connect the patch panel to a switch.
You could terminate those wires in RJ45 connectors, but since they look short, a patch panel that can mount in your structured wiring panel would be the best answer.
Oh okay that makes sense! So if my router/modem is in another room besides this one would i need to move it here? Thank you again!

Moving the router is likely optional.

The pattern is always -----isp cable--modem--router---switch---end devices.

Lets say the ISP cable comes into the living room. So you connect it to your modem/router and then connect one of the lan port to the ethernet wall jack that goes back to the central closet and the switch.

Now lets say the ISP cable also comes into the central closet. You place the modem/router here and connect it and then you directly connect one of the lan ports to the switch.

It is all pretty much the same you are just using a longer cable (ie the ones in the wall) to connect the router to the switch.

Solution

Andyme177

Prominent
Apr 26, 2020
I would have installed the cable modem in the on-q panel you showed us then the router to the modem and use the outputs on the router for your wired connections everything can be inside the panel.

If the pre-wired Cat5's are usable for data is always in question I have seen it so so many times where there are staples in the wire.