[SOLVED] Need help with CPU choice.

sennehaest

Honorable
Jan 5, 2019
Hello,

I'm searching for an i5 or i7 cpu wich it fits for a ''Socket 1155 LGA'' . It's mostly gonna be used for gaming/streaming. Does someone has some suggestion?
(The CPU I have right now is: Intel Core i5 3450 3.1Ghz.)

Thanks alot!

WhiteSnake91

Distinguished
i7 2600k and overclock it would be the "budget" friendly way, they don't go for much these days. For a bit better ipc, 3770k or 3770 are technically stronger.

An "odd ball" niche choice that was popular among people "in the know" years ago for 1155 mobos was the xeon 1230 or 1230 v2, essentially i7's with no iGPU.

I wouldn't get an i5, 4 cores/4 threads isn't cutting it these days anymore, my old i5 got eaten alive years ago and I wished I had spent just a little more on an i7 so badly at the time...

edit-yes, first of all, what motherboard do you have? If it's a limited prebuilt that'll narrow it down quite a bit

sennehaest

Honorable
Jan 5, 2019
i7 2600k and overclock it would be the "budget" friendly way, they don't go for much these days. For a bit better ipc, 3770k or 3770 are technically stronger.

An "odd ball" niche choice that was popular among people "in the know" years ago for 1155 mobos was the xeon 1230 or 1230 v2, essentially i7's with no iGPU.

I wouldn't get an i5, 4 cores/4 threads isn't cutting it these days anymore, my old i5 got eaten alive years ago and I wished I had spent just a little more on an i7 so badly at the time...

edit-yes, first of all, what motherboard do you have? If it's a limited prebuilt that'll narrow it down quite a bit

The motherboard I have right now is an MSI H61M-P20 (G3) (MS-7788) If you want a photo of the specs: View: https://imgur.com/mDVPP61

Thanks for helping out!

Feb 20, 2019
If you are looking to stream then the extra cores and threads (not to mention the higher base and boost clocks) Will be much appreciated for streaming, so I without a doubt I would recommend the i7. But if you want to stream a lot then it might be better to go for something lie the ryzen 7 2700x for the AM4 socket is a better streaming optimised chip.

If you are looking to use the same motherboard you will have to make sure that the cpu you are replacing your current one with is a 3rd or 4th gen chip, otherwise it will not be compatible, due to different architectures. But even if you get a 4th gen chip, a bios update will still required for a chip of that type to work.

WhiteSnake91

Distinguished
The motherboard I have right now is an MSI H61M-P20 (G3) (MS-7788) If you want a photo of the specs: View: https://imgur.com/mDVPP61

Thanks for helping out!

oh yeah, as the other user said, you could use the xeon 1230 or 1230 v2, as well as 2600, 2600k, 3770, 3770k. You can't overclock, so look for the cheapest version of any of those, 8 threads at sandy bridge/ivy bridge level can still certainly game and stream well, it also depends on your internet speeds at well. Try 720p at 2000 bitrate at 30fps starting out, and tweak from there if your internet can handle it. It's important not to go too high on the bitrate as that will alienate many whose internet can't handle watching that, or possibly even their device as well. Good luck :)

Reactions: Brownie_
oh yeah, as the other user said, you could use the xeon 1230 or 1230 v2, as well as 2600, 2600k, 3770, 3770k. You can't overclock, so look for the cheapest version of any of those, 8 threads at sandy bridge/ivy bridge level can still certainly game and stream well, it also depends on your internet speeds at well. Try 720p at 2000 bitrate at 30fps starting out, and tweak from there if your internet can handle it. It's important not to go too high on the bitrate as that will alienate many whose internet can't handle watching that, or possibly even their device as well. Good luck :)

For the price of a 1230v2, you can get a 1270v2 for a few bucks more, has a higher base clock and little higher boost clock.

WhiteSnake91

Distinguished
For the price of a 1230v2, you can get a 1270v2 for a few bucks more, has a higher base clock and little higher boost clock.

I just looked that up and nice find :) I never heard anybody mention the 1270v2 years ago when some recommended the 1230v2, maybe the 1270v2 was very expensive back then. Years ago, the 1230v2 was a tiny bit cheaper than getting an i7.

I miss my 2600k, it was a very nice cpu once OC'd, I may have to find a good condition z68 or z77 board with good vrm one of these days and have an excellent backup pc or portable one if the mobo is micro atx. Last year before I went to ryzen I was using the 2600k at 4.4 or 4.5 but the asus z68 mobo was either crapping out or throttling and crashing due to no vrm heatsink, I wouldn't rule out the crapping out part, the mobo was over 7 years ago at the time approximately.