Need help with CPU, what to choose, opinions, recomendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

PzyDuck

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
Hi fellas! back in here for a new quistion..

I have a ASUS M3A78, thats my MOBO, and currently im using a AMD Phenom II X4 810 @2.60ghz, the deal is that im playing with 8gb of ram and a Gigabyte 660 Ti OC version, great gpu, very powerfull, but with the cpu i have frame drops..

For example, im plying skyrim at 1920x1080p, everything maxed out (in game configurations, and card manage 3D) and im haveing 50-60fps, (with amd cpu) and a friend its playing with same card, same ram, same resolution but an i5 and the fps are moooooooooooooooooore high, about 95+

So.. wich cpu you think is the best for my mobo? i dont wanna change the movo because if i change that i have to change ram's etc, to expensive.. so if everyone know of some cpu better than mine, that fit the mobo, plz tell me!

thx, PzyDuck

PD: I wanna to overclock, with a cpu cooling, of course

Solution
I think the most powerful processor you can install on that board is the Phenom II x6 1090T -> http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Phenom%20II%20X6%201090T%20Black%20Edition%20-%20HDT90ZFBK6DGR%20(HDT90ZFBGRBOX).html

But that is an old processor and while you would see some improvement, it would not be jaw dropping. In your case i would strongly suggest that you change the motherboard so that you can install newer hardware. Ram are cheap these days. The reason why your friend is getting better performance lies not only in the processor but also the ram speed and the motherboard itself as it provides higher FSB speeds. The gtx 660ti is an PCI express 3.0 card so you are loosing some speed there also. Its all those factors that...

l4v4lamp

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013
I think the most powerful processor you can install on that board is the Phenom II x6 1090T -> http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Phenom%20II%20X6%201090T%20Black%20Edition%20-%20HDT90ZFBK6DGR%20(HDT90ZFBGRBOX).html

But that is an old processor and while you would see some improvement, it would not be jaw dropping. In your case i would strongly suggest that you change the motherboard so that you can install newer hardware. Ram are cheap these days. The reason why your friend is getting better performance lies not only in the processor but also the ram speed and the motherboard itself as it provides higher FSB speeds. The gtx 660ti is an PCI express 3.0 card so you are loosing some speed there also. Its all those factors that contribute to the performance of the machine. Its best to have components that are roughly the same generation to receive the best performance.

Nonetheless here is a list of supported cpus for your motherboard.
http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-ASUS/M3A78.html

happy gaming

Solution

PzyDuck

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012

Wow, thanks a lot man! seriously, you are the only one that take the job of searching for me (hehe) really, thanks.

The thing is that in my country pc parts are waaaaaaaaaaaaay expensive, and if i change the Mobo, and the cpu, i need nearly 3000 pesos argentinos (1500-2000 dolars) but however, you lokk like you know about this, so, wich mobo and cpu you recomend? not THAT expensive, but a good one for my rig

thanks a lot! i will wait your answer

Status
Not open for further replies.