[SOLVED] Need help with deciding on a monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ipoizonz.dapimpz

Commendable
Nov 25, 2017
I'm adamant on upgrading to an ultrawide monitor this christmas and have found two great, cheap monitors, but I'm having difficulty deciding between the two.
I'll be running it with:

GTX 1060 6GB
i5-7600K (OC @4.5GHz)
16GB DDR4 RAM
And I mainly play fps/racing games and browsing through YouTube.

The main monitor I wanted was an EG 35" curved UWQHD monitor (See: https://www.ebuyer.com/869408-eg-35-curved-gaming-monitor-uwqhd-display-1ms-eg35120uw)
due to it being high refresh rate and 1440p - something I really want, especially since it is such a large monitor.
The other monitor (See: https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/lg-...ZTNmhDAM2xz9yVNJUHfLbNLzIfpOYZcIaAoT1EALw_wcB) has g-sync, a slightly higher refresh rate and is an IPS panel, however, is only 1080p.
Is it worth taking the 1440p monitor, considering I'll be upgrading to an RTX 2060S in the coming years, without the g-sync or IPS display, or should I get the LG despite it's poor resolution? Will I notice the pixels or is it a good trade off?
Thanks in advance!

Solution
Hey!

As you know, It is of extreme importance to make sure the resolution that you want must be parallel to the size of the monitor that you want.

I find it extremely unwise, and out of question, to go for a 2560x1080 resolution when you are thinking of buying an 34+ inch monitor. Is it possible? sure, why not. But logically, It just wont give you the visual experience that you desire, in comparison to a higher resolution option.

So instead of specificly advising a monitor, I'd like to highlight a couple of factors that should help you make your picks & research.

>>You definitely want GSYNC / Freesync(its compatible with nvidia cards as well now) considering the amount of interest you have in a good quality monitor. Think of it...

sinthoras

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2012
Hey!

As you know, It is of extreme importance to make sure the resolution that you want must be parallel to the size of the monitor that you want.

I find it extremely unwise, and out of question, to go for a 2560x1080 resolution when you are thinking of buying an 34+ inch monitor. Is it possible? sure, why not. But logically, It just wont give you the visual experience that you desire, in comparison to a higher resolution option.

So instead of specificly advising a monitor, I'd like to highlight a couple of factors that should help you make your picks & research.

>>You definitely want GSYNC / Freesync(its compatible with nvidia cards as well now) considering the amount of interest you have in a good quality monitor. Think of it as the latest technology which synchronizes your monitor with your graphics card. Since you play FPS games, I believe the slight input lag and disadvantages of V-sync would be annoying for you.

>>Do remember that a monitor of this size will really demand a serious GPU, so I have serious doubts that 1060 will satisfy you untill you get your desired GPU upgrade. You might not really be able to enjoy your monitor properly till you get that 2060. Your monitor is only one part of the equation, the other part is the power of your PC.

>>Another important factor while you are making this decision is the demands of the games that you are interested in playing. If by FPS Games you mean latest the latest modern warfare for example, running that game with a desired fps on such a massive screen is, once again, a very big burden on your PC, specificly GPU. On paper, I think its impossible to get a good performance with your current graphics card on such a screen.

>>Just like every other aspect of hardware purchases, you want to equally balance the qualities that you seek in a monitor. Remember that a monitor with less inches but the right amount of herz etc.. might offer a much more satisfying and crisp visual experience.

Long story short ;
1)Be aware of the resolution your graphics card can support. Its the engine that will run the monitor.
2)Be aware that there are ideal resolutions for every monitor size, which should be super easily accessible via google. (1920x1080 is ideal for 24inch, 2560x1440 is ideal for 27inch etc. )
3)Make sure you have the required G-synch/freesynch and a proper herz rate (ideally 144hz) regardless of the monitor size that you decide.

I hope this helps!

Solution

curiousmcgeorge

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2015
2)Be aware that there are ideal resolutions for every monitor size, which should be super easily accessible via google. (1920x1080 is ideal for 24inch, 2560x1440 is ideal for 27inch etc. )

If 1920x1080 is ideal for 24inch then 27 inch is much less of an increase from 1080p to 1440p is on a relative basis.
Won't 1440 on a 27" have smaller font than 1080 on a 24"

Last edited:

sinthoras

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2012
If 1920x1080 is ideal for 24inch then 27 inch is much less of an increase from 1080p to 1440p is on a relative basis.
Won't 1440 on a 27" have smaller font than 1080 on a 24"

Hello,
When making calculations based on monitor size and resolution, I like to use "pixels per inch", which ultimately gives you an idea of "pixel density" which is the most important factor.

Below is a quote:

On a 27-inch monitor, the 1080p resolution offers roughly 81 PPI (Pixels Per Inch) while 1440p provides around 108 PPI. Essentially, this means that the picture on a 27-inch 1080p monitor will be pixelated, have smudgy text, and blurry details. That’s why we don’t recommend getting a monitor larger than 24-inches for Full HD(1080p) resolution.

You can also see a visual representation of the pixel density in the following link
https://www.displayninja.com/1920x1080-vs-2560x1440/

So ultimately, while I cant give you punctual size difference between the text sizes, it is absolutely for sure that the text will be ideal&compact on 27inch 1440p, in comparison to 27inch 1080p , but most importantly everything will be sharper and clear, from images to texts, thanks to the pixel density/per inch.

curiousmcgeorge

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2015
I'm not comparing 1080p at 27", which will be less dense and more pixilated , to anything.
I am saying 1440p at 27" may be very compact and small and harder to read unless closer to the monitor.
I think 1440 at 32" is similar to 1080 at 24" which I think is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.