Need Help with decision.. sorry for lengthy details

DrAshutosh

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013
I currently run a AMD 78-L chipset motherboard Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...

with an AMD Phenom(tm) II X2 545 Processor.
I have nearly completely moved to linux approx 4 years back and 99.9% of the time I run Linux on it, currently running Linux Mint 16. (though I have Windows 7 as dual boot for rare needs). The main use of this PC is of HTPC and Internet.. NO GAMING at all

Current Config:
MoBo: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X2 545
1*Toshiba 3 TB SATA HDD
1*Toshiba 2 TB SATA HDD (enterprise class)
1*Seagate 1 TB SATA HDD
1* 5000 GB WD Blue SATA HDD
1*Samsung SSD 128 GB(BOOT and System Drive for both Win and Linux)
1* WD 160 GB IDE HDD
1*LG IDE DVD writer
1* ASUS SATA DVD writer
16 GB RAM {4* 4 GB DDR3 RAM(2* Corsair Value select 1333 MHz +2*Kingston HyperX 1600 Mhz}..
Corsair VS550 550 Watt PSU
Philips 150S 15 inch LCD monotor.. max. Resolution 1024*768

I use Deepcool ICEEDGE 400 XT CPU Cooler and an aftermarket active NB Cooler after noticing Heating issue .

All hardware except for Monitor is housed in an Antec X1 Chassis.. which has 4 Chasis Fans with Filters.

You guessed correctly that I am a computer freak, who doesn't believe in leaving any slot of MoBo vacant.

I download lot of Videos and back them up on Optocal discs once in awhite. And to save time I burn Generally Two DVDs at a time.. one on Brasero, and one on K3B.. or both on K3B with general and sudo account.

Now I come ot Problem:

I genealy MULTITASK.. typical scenario is: Lost of TABS open in Firefox(sometiems RAM usage by Firefox is over 4 GB, Runnign an Average resolution or 720P Video running in VLC/kaffine, and Writing DVDs SIMULTANEOUSLY.. (CPU usage Rarely Exceed 50%, typically 25%) (IGP has 500 MB/Auto mode setup for emmory usage)

I can freely write DVD at 16x full speed (linux says switching to 17x) from any HDD/SSD to any of my DVD drives, but when I try to burn Both DVDS at the same time, problem starts. To begin with, PC becomes unresponsive to inputs till initial cueing etc message in K3b gone and actual writing starts.. If a video is runnning , I can Still see it running without stutter, but I can not interact with My PC... and If I start writing a new dvd while other dvd is already on writing, Writing speed on both the writing speed Drops down drastically usually to 4Xor less and Software and Hardware Buffer starts Wildly fluctuating on K3B... (Usually backup Video files)

Initially I thought it is because of increased random seek in HDD.. but then I tried writing from Two different HDDs/ HD/SSD.. and tried all possible permutations and combinations... but results were the same...... (+/-Videos running foma 3rd HDD)
My interpretation is: “These multiple read/write operations are Overloading/Saturating 3 GbPS Sata II Controller.. so this wild fluctuation in read/write operation.”
PC also lags if I open a lot of tabs esp woth Images in Firefox.. sometimes in excessof 50-60 tabs.. and Memory usage of Firefox exceeding 4 GB(but CPU usage noted ot be approx 25% at the same time.. and that leaves 12 GB of Free RAM still present.... Might this be taxing my Integrated GPU?/ exceeding RAM for GPU??

I also noted a meger performance of UBSB 3.0 write speed typically 30-40 MBps on HDD.. but will increase to 60 MBps if i do double write operations on usb hdd.

Rearlier I used to use a dedicated graphic card( AMD Radeon HD 5570).. but recently linux driver related issues and recurrrent Resolution out of range error on display which could not be solved with custom Xorg.conf File, has forced me to use IGP... and I personally like ot use IGP rather than graphic card. But as i recall, problem existed even then.

What i want ot know is Are my assumptions correct??

Possible solution that I have is:

Cheapest: Stop using the 2nd DVD drive

Costlier: Upgrade MoBo/Processor

MY opotions are:

1. Intel G2020 CPU (3rd/4th Gen Intel Pentium class processors are not availabel in India)+ ASRock B75 Pro3-M Motherboard.. total costing approx Rupees 10,000/-

http://www.flipkart.com/asrock-b75-pro3-m-motherboard/p...

Advantage: 8 Sata ports, (3x Sata3 +3x Sata 2).. but with two different controllers, 45 watts lower power consumption than AMD.

Disadvantage: is LGA 1155 already outdated and 1150 processor (i3) + similar Mobo wil cost me rupees 17,000/-, NO Hyperthreading, so I have serious doubt regarding True Multitasking capabilities running 4 programms simultaneously.... RAM speed only till 1333 MHz.,(and from what i read recenty, pretty soon Intel is gonna Dump LGA socket system) anyways Intel is known to change sockets faster than many girls change dresses, and they are nototious about not maintainiing backward compatibility.

2. AMD A8 6600K + MSI FM2-A85XA-G43 Motherboard.. cost: 15,000/-

Adv: True 4 coes of silicon, Highe Memory bandwidth capable, Way better IGFX for my needs, FM2 processor will be compatiblw with FM2+ Mobo in future.. from my experience, you need to change motherboard before Proscessor shows sign of ageing, due to wear and tear, loose connections etc., Higher CPU mark scores(4700 vs 2730 of G2020. All 8 SATA ports are 6 GbPS... wchich might be indicating a better SB/NB controller (than the one I have right now) which might be difficult to saturate in parallel simultaneous read/write operations.

The only Real Disadvantage of this AMD Setup according ot me is the long term Higher Power cosnumptin (45 Watts diference) and Higher Heat production.
I can wait a few month for good ad competitive FM2+ products. Basically I wamt 8 SATA Ports (all preferable Sata 3), USB3, a real Multitasking CPU,
I am no longer thinking about AMD Fx Series. Because they are not going to be continued.

PS: I do NOT Play GAMEs.. and Neither i have plan to do so. And PC will be nearly exclusively used with LINUX on it.

The biggest Dilemma of mine is : what if I upgrade and Problem stays the same.. and all this hard earned money goes for nothing.....
I would Really appreciate help of someone who can really analyze my situatuion +/- test my scenario on their PC and give his/her precious advice... reagarding:

1. Whether my porblem will be solved by changing Hardware to above?

2. Which setup of the above will fulfill my needs better.?. I am looking forward to use this PC for at least 5 Years.

Sorry for the lengthy details, and for my habit of un necessarily capping initial letters of words.

Thanks in advance.

-Regards.

Ashutosh

Solution
If the 8320 is too pricy, you could try the FX-6300 instead. 6 cores instead of 8, but still a big improvment over the 545. Either one will work on your current m/b. It would be very difficult for you to saturate either the controller with what you are doing. You can only read/write as fast as your cpu can process all your info.

The onboard graphics of your m/b are compatible with linux and should not give you problems. Depending on the distro you have, installation of the required drivers will be easier or harder. Since you don't game, the bone stock drivers directly from the distro should work just fine.

Mark
Your biggest problem is bottlenecking your cpu. With all the multitasking you do, you really need a either an 8 core amd or a hyperthreading intel. The intel you list above is NOT the answer, nor is the A8 amd. If you really want to continue heavy multitasking, you need to consider an amd like the 8350 or an intel E type I7.

Mark

DrAshutosh

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013

Do you mean, that If I change to AMD FX 8350, while keeping the current Motherboard it is more likely to solve my problem?? or I shall have to change my motherboard too? Initially i was considering 990Fx series MObo. but there is NO Integrated GPU, and my current discrete GPU and My old monitors are no longer ready to work together in Linux easily.

My other alternative is Core i3-3rd/4th Gen + decent motherboard (will cost me Rupees 15000-18000).. I can't go for core I7.. Processor itself will be way beyond my Budget...

I thought these Read write operations operated via UDMA.. and unlike PIO mode, they should not need CPU work for this job.. and hence I thought It was saturating my SB/Sata controller.. I guess I was wrong....

Can You advise me how to choose between amd Fx 8350 alone (my MoBo does have AM3+ Socket) vs Above mentioned A8 Combo, Vs core i3 3220+ above mentioned MoBo Vs Core i3 4310+ Intel 85/87 chipset MoBo combo.. in fact i was thinking of buying an HD IPS monitor -22 inch.. but i guess all the budget will be absorbed by this CPU business.. and monitor will have to wait. Anyway, I am almost satisfied with my current Monitor.

DrAshutosh

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013

what I have right now is enough for the job of Internet browsing... Only when I do true Multitasking the hell breaks loose

If the 8320 is too pricy, you could try the FX-6300 instead. 6 cores instead of 8, but still a big improvment over the 545. Either one will work on your current m/b. It would be very difficult for you to saturate either the controller with what you are doing. You can only read/write as fast as your cpu can process all your info.

The onboard graphics of your m/b are compatible with linux and should not give you problems. Depending on the distro you have, installation of the required drivers will be easier or harder. Since you don't game, the bone stock drivers directly from the distro should work just fine.

Mark

Solution