Build Advice Need help with designing new 3D modeling/gaming system build

effektz

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
Hello all,

I’ve followed the forums for a long time now thought I would get some inputs on a new system as the AMD processors and GPU are out now. Let me know your thoughts!

Approximate Purchase Date: The next month or two

Budget Range: around $1200

System Usage from Most to Least Important:
Gaming
3D Modeling
Adobe Design

Are you buying a monitor: No
Already have a Samsung 49” CHG90 Gaming monitor

Parts Preferences: AMD as the monitor has FreeSync built in

Overclocking: Maybe

Your Monitor Resolution: 3840x1080

Additional Comments: Planning to play PC games such as CS:GO, Fortnite, Apex Legends and would like to get up to 144 FPS.

Also I do a lot of work in Fusion 360, Adobe Illustrator and 3D printing applications such as Simplify 3D and would like a build that could handle the work.

Since you have a month or two, the open air GPU models will drop in from the board partners by mid August...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD - Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor | $329.00 @ B&H
Motherboard | MSI - X570-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard | $159.99 @ B&H
Memory | Crucial - Ballistix Sport AT 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory | $139.99 @ B&H
Storage | HP - EX920 512 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive | $54.99 @ Newegg
Video Card | Sapphire - Radeon RX 5700 8 GB Video Card | $349.99 @ Newegg
Case | Thermaltake - Core G21 Tempered Glass Edition ATX Mid Tower Case | $49.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply | Corsair - TXM Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply | $88.98 @ Newegg
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total (before mail-in rebates) | $1192.93
| Mail-in rebates | -$20.00
| Total | $1172.93
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-16 00:56 EDT-0400 |

effektz

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
Thanks! Would it be beneficial to go with DDR4-3600 memory if I am utilizing the Ryzen 7 3700X? And are the current GPUs needing their own cooling? I dont remember reading that anywhere but I may of missed it

You can go 3600 but that will either overshoot the budget or you will have to compromise on the balance of the build, which is not recommended. Barring a few memory centric workload, RAM kits faster than 3200mhz kicks in diminishing value of returns, where you do no get as much performance as the price delta. So, unless your workload specifically benefits from 3600mhz over 3200mhz, you should stick to the above list.
About the GPU, since that card is newly released around a week ago, the current models available are the reference cards from AMD only with Blower style cooler, which is not recommended for thermal reasons. Those GPUs are meant for small form factor PC builds, not a full size build like yours. The more popular Open-Air fan designs will be launched by the board partners(Asus/MSI/EVGA/Gigabyte/etc.) by end of August.

Reactions: effektz

effektz

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
Thanks! Glad I read more about the cooler on the cards! Speaking of cooling, I think I may want to stretch my budget to get a better case that has great airflow for cooling. Do you have any recommendations? Ive spent several hours looking at what other sites say are their top PC cases but I am cautious to spend $300+ on it if there are equivalent types at a cheaper price point.

The Thermaltake Core G21 is actually a pretty good case for its price. I have myself built a machine with this case. It has decent airflow along with sufficient space for cable management. Here is a good review...
https://bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/cases/thermaltake-core-g21-tg-review/4/

But in case you are looking for something better, you can take your pick from the link below. I have applied all the relevant filters...
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/c...06,62,94,229,680,56&u=1&s=1&sort=price&page=1
Remember to read reviews before finalizing a certain unit.