Question Need help with downsamplig

eli150

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2013
Hey guys,

I recently opened a thread on the subject in the wrong section I guess: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/downsampling-with-vsr-dsr-or-other-tools.3745358/

The problem is that I got a 27 1440p 144hz and I want to downsample from a higher resolution at 60hz. My monitor supports 60hz and I got an AMD gpu but VSR is only letting me get higher resolutions like 4K at 144hz.
One possible solution I found is creating a custom resolution to downsample from but I'm afraid that I'm not doing it correctly and might damage my monitor is some way.
Can anybody help me or give a better solution?

thanks in advance :)

boju

Titan
Ambassador
What monitor do you have and does it have freesync? What you're trying to do shouldn't be necessary if freesync is enabled since frames and monitor is in sync regardless if refresh rate is at 144, you'll be seeing whatever the gpu is rendering and should be smoother than trying to force lower hz.

I don't know why monitor won't run at 60hz if use vsr but if you really want to lower your frame rate, use fps limiter in adrenaline whilst remaining on 144hz, it shouldn't matter. Or use high level of anti aliasing or game's own resolution scaling if applicable. Vsr just renders at a higher resolution and scales it back to native resolution, i know you know that, but end goal is to improve image which is what anti aliasing also does, just another means of doing so.

eli150

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2013
What monitor do you have and does it have freesync? What you're trying to do shouldn't be necessary if freesync is enabled since frames and monitor is in sync regardless if refresh rate is at 144, you'll be seeing whatever the gpu is rendering and should be smoother than trying to force lower hz.

I don't know why monitor won't run at 60hz if use vsr but if you really want to lower your frame rate, use fps limiter in adrenaline whilst remaining on 144hz, it shouldn't matter. Or use high level of anti aliasing or game's own resolution scaling if applicable. Vsr just renders at a higher resolution and scales it back to native resolution, i know you know that, but end goal is to improve image which is what anti aliasing also does, just another means of doing so.

Using VSR usually brings a better image than most aa solutions and in my experience it's also a nice addition on top of the game's aa.
My monitor is the LG 27GL850. It's a great monitor and it supports 60hz but not with VSR enabled so this is why I've realized I would need to create a custom res in order to get that 60hz refresh rate. I know It doesn't seem important and you are right, usually I can just use an FPS limiter but for some games It doesn't work properly like the game I have this problem with - God of War.
It doesn't feel as smooth when I'm trying to use the in-game limiter or Radeon Chill and 60hz solves this issue and also I can just enable vsync and get a clean image because for some reason the freesync also is not working properly. Some people would just let the game run at whatever frame rate and leave it at that but I don't like it and also playing at 60 is a way to conserve some gpu usage that I don't actually need anyway.

Have you ever used AMD's custom resolution? I want to just create the res myself but there are a lot of variables there that has something to do with timing.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Haven't used no. I would look at trying to get Freesync working because it should give you a better experience. Are you using Hdmi or DP? If you're using Hdmi try DP the monitor comes with. Enable freesync in monitor.

Over Hdmi Freesync range is between 48 to 100 Hz. Dp 48 to 144. Custom Resolution Utility is capable of lowering the starting range but have never done it, just know it can.

eli150

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2013
Haven't used no. I would look at trying to get Freesync working because it should give you a better experience. Are you using Hdmi or DP? If you're using Hdmi try DP the monitor comes with. Enable freesync in monitor.

Over Hdmi Freesync range is between 48 to 100 Hz. Dp 48 to 144. Custom Resolution Utility is capable of lowering the starting range but have never done it, just know it can.

It's connected via DP. I just accepted the fact that adaptive-sync doesn't work in every game.. especially if you are trying to lock the frame rate. It was the same when I had my GTX 1070 so it's not really an AMD issue either. I try looking into custom resolution more.. hopefully somebody sees one of my posts on the subject and will be able to help me get that sweet downsampled image haha

eli150

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2013
That's decent enough specs to not run you into any trouble with frame rate lows. Mind sharing userbench results please, just to check a few things.

It's not the issue.. I can easily get 60fps but the game just doesn't run smoothly with a frame rate lock. That's why I need to run the game while the monitor has a 60hz refresh rate.. It's the best way to play the game. I can do that at my monitor resolution, 1440p, but I want to downsample from 3200x1800. All I need is a 3200x1800 60hz custom resolution to downsample from and I know there is a way to do that. Just need someone to explain it to me.
I tried using the AMD built in custom resolution setting but there too many variables I don't understand like display timing