Need help with Drive selection.

Washeum420

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013
Im building a laptop from Origin pc primarily for audio engineering and gaming. I have really no prior knowledge about computers so i need a little guidence when selecting the proper drives. I need to know the potential benefits and downfalls of each component before i make it final. 120gbSSD+750gbHDD / with or without 120gbmSATA (I have NO idea what mSATA does, what are the benifits of having all three) also does it matter which drive is the primary or secondary? setup 1.SSD+HDD 2.mSATA+SSD+HDD 3. mSATA+HDD Any advice helps. THANK YOU!

Solution
Typically it makes more sense to have a single SSD for the OS and most programs, and then store data on the mechanical drive. Using 2 SSDs and 1 mechanical drive is pretty much like using 1 large SSD and a mechanical drive, no difference really. If they dont offer 240gb SSD / 750 GB HDD, and you really need the extra 120 gigs of SSD storage, then get the dual SSD option. MSATA is just a smaller form factor, no big deal.

festerovic

Distinguished
Typically it makes more sense to have a single SSD for the OS and most programs, and then store data on the mechanical drive. Using 2 SSDs and 1 mechanical drive is pretty much like using 1 large SSD and a mechanical drive, no difference really. If they dont offer 240gb SSD / 750 GB HDD, and you really need the extra 120 gigs of SSD storage, then get the dual SSD option. MSATA is just a smaller form factor, no big deal.

Solution

Washeum420

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013

Thank you for clearing that up for me. So do you think it would be better to go SSD+mechanical or mSATA+ mechanical or does it even matter? 1 more thing, does it matter wether the SSD or HDD is the primary or secondary drive?

TRENDING THREADS