Need help with Drivers upon installation

RockyG

Reputable
Jun 14, 2014
Hey guys, this is my first time posting on a forum but I'm stumped.

I'm working on Dell optiplex GX270, it won't boot. I've run the XP OEM installation disc, each time I try to run the installation, I get the message “there is no disk in this drive”, I've gone into Bios to ensure the load order was set to CD-Rom. The system doesn't have SATA Driver or Raid Driver option to switch it over from AHCI to ATA. I went to the Dell website, and downloaded the IDE file to a floppy disk, inserted it during the F6 function and received this message, 'Txtsetup.oem. caused an unexpected error (512) at line 1747.” I've looked on Dell's download page, and followed their download order instructions, however half the drivers weren't on the page... Is there somewhere else to download the entire driver package to installed during the F6 Function?

I have some knowledge in computers, but no a lot, most of my knowledge comes from trial and error, and I can usually figure it (even if it takes and day or two) but I been all over the web for two-day and ran out of avenues.

I appreciate any advice, thanks for your time.

Solution
It's not Dell specific - it's a hard disk failure.

Checkdisk seems to "see" the disk and two partitions which may or may not actually exist but the BIOS doesn't recognise the disk at all. Checkdisk is famous for misleading reports, BIOS is more reliable. I suggest you buy a cheap disk and install it instead of the original. When you take the old one out, look at the pins - you may have one missing and that's enough to cause this.

RockyG

Reputable
Jun 14, 2014

RockyG

Reputable
Jun 14, 2014
Sorry, if I'm being ignorant, but how would a internal speaker help? The computer was working fine, running WinXp SP2, with Realtec Soundmax audio drivers, I gave the computer to my niece for school work, and she obtained a virus which I thought I had extracted with Anvi Smart Defender, (it worked for a few days) then refused to boot.)

I'm not sure of the model for the mother board, I bought it refurbished, and without being able to get it running I can't scan it for a computer profile with belarc Advisor

When you went to the Dell website, did ou input the Service Tag reference? If you do that, all the drivers you need will be there. If you don't tap Function 6 when prompted, sometimes the XP CD runs further searched for the controller drivers so it's worth trying again without specific drivers. It would be unusual for a standard Dell to need extra drivers at the F6 stage.

It's also worth trying the IDE option instead of AHCI if it's available in your BIOS.

RockyG

Reputable
Jun 14, 2014
Hey, guys, Thanks for your advice, I'm still hitting a brick wall with every turn.

Dell Optiplex GX270
Service Tag: 630VN31
Express Service Code: 13243568797

I'm not able to try the Hard drive in another PC, because I don't have another, I thought I had another one in Storage, but I don't.

I went to the Dell, Driver Download Center and Downloaded:

Dell Optiplex system bios A07 update, Gx27A07.exe to a floppy and inserted it, using the F6 function, still received the txtsetup.oem. Caused an unexpected error (512) at line 1747.

I don't have a widows automated system recovery disk, so I can't use that function. I then ran system recovery console, and ran a check disk and it wouldn't run.

When I typed in Chkdsk C: /r
the message appeared. “the volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems.

Then I typed: chkdsk D: /r

The volume Serial number is 92d5-7e06, “The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems”

598686 kilobytes total disk space
0 kilobytes are available

2048 bytes in each allocation unit
299343 total allocation unit on disk
0 allocation units available on disk.

I tried Fixboot command. “Cannot find System Drive or drive specified is not valid.

Fixmbr: granted no acknowledgment . . .

In the boot order in Bios it Cd/rom
Drive Diskkettes
hard drive (not installed)

it's also set to IDE

Now my question is, do I need to buy and install a new hard drive? Is the system just not communicating with the device? Should I take it into a commercial repair shop, so someone with a lot better knowledge than me to look at it? Or is there something else I can try. As I said I gave this computer to my niece for simple school work, but she's since gotten another computer, I would like to repair this one for myself, simply because I want to better my repair knowledge. Any and all help is appreciated.

It's not Dell specific - it's a hard disk failure.

Checkdisk seems to "see" the disk and two partitions which may or may not actually exist but the BIOS doesn't recognise the disk at all. Checkdisk is famous for misleading reports, BIOS is more reliable. I suggest you buy a cheap disk and install it instead of the original. When you take the old one out, look at the pins - you may have one missing and that's enough to cause this.

Solution

RockyG

Reputable
Jun 14, 2014
Thank you, guys, for all the advice. As for going to the Dell Communities (I have) all I receive are suggestion to do the same things I've already done, or, boorish replies on how I should upgrade or do my own job, laughable considering I've stated I'm not a service tech, but, ah . . . anyways, I'm inclined to try another hard drive. I've found Gx720 online for ten bucks, plus eight on shipping, so I'll try that when it arrives. I tried removing the drive and resetting it and ensured the cables were taut, (also there were no pins missing). If the drive doesn't work, I'll probably scrap the CPU, I don't seen any reason, to take it into a commercial service station and pay half, if not more than what I paid for it, ($100). I'd still like to part it out and try a rebuild, just because I want to enhance the little bit of knowledge I have. Thanks again for your advice.