[SOLVED] Need help with DSL-2740U QoS settings for the best reliability.

DiamondxCrafting

Reputable
Jan 20, 2015
https://i.imgur.com/K1geRRT.png

These are my current settings but I'm getting packet loss every ~40 seconds when playing csgo/rocket league, I really don't understand much in QoS and couldn't understand it any better from wikipedia.
There is also this: https://i.imgur.com/lGVwViR.png when I check "insert or modify QoS mark".

I'm using ethernet, msi x370 gaming plus mobo and windows 10 pro 17763.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Solution
From what I can tell that router is like many routers you see. The qos setting are mostly for show. Anything related to packet markings like DSCP value etc are completely worthless on a router connected to the internet. The ISP will strip anything you set.

From what I can tell you can set traffic into queues of "high,medium,low" I think. No way to know what these words really mean, does it 10% more or 50% more or something else.

In addition it only does upload traffic and most people problems are download traffic.

QoS is really nothing all that special. It does not magically give you more bandwidth. You only need QoS when you have overloaded you internet connection. This means some other traffic in your house is using...
Every QOS implementation is different, I suggest consult the manual carefully, find out whether what they are giving you is for the purpose you wish for. I'd be careful about the from and to MACs, are they talking about the router WAN or LAN port? and why would they want this information from you if they can simply look up its own ARP table? am just saying those are the type of questions I would ask. QOS not easy networking subject.

DiamondxCrafting

Reputable
Jan 20, 2015

I'm fine with not being able to download a game while playing competitively, therefore all I need is to correctly setup this QoS page which I've not been able to do.

I would recommend disabling that qos. If you're getting dropped packets on a clear pipe there are other problems. weak wifi or powerlines can cause issues. enabling the wrong things in your router can decrease it's throughput as well. esp qdisc qos. the most reliable is basic nat and ethernet connections.

with the screens you posted it's not showing any info on the type of qdisc. that stuff is mostly for matching traffic. most qdisc are for bandwidth management not responsiveness. many add latency.

In general for matching traffic you probably want to figure out the all character. it's normally *.

phy port = your port. everything else should be * to make all your traffic match.

If the implementation is stateful and on the lan side then source ip = your client ip
source ports are randomized so put *
If you know the specific dest ip/port and protocol fill that in.

If it's not stateful then your options are minimal for matching specific traffic.

DiamondxCrafting

Reputable
Jan 20, 2015

I am on ethernet, I tried disabling qos, and if anything it's worse.
I'm fairly sure there are no qdisc options on my router.

From what I can tell that router is like many routers you see. The qos setting are mostly for show. Anything related to packet markings like DSCP value etc are completely worthless on a router connected to the internet. The ISP will strip anything you set.

From what I can tell you can set traffic into queues of "high,medium,low" I think. No way to know what these words really mean, does it 10% more or 50% more or something else.

In addition it only does upload traffic and most people problems are download traffic.

QoS is really nothing all that special. It does not magically give you more bandwidth. You only need QoS when you have overloaded you internet connection. This means some other traffic in your house is using the bandwidth. You can accomplish the same thing by managing you utilization the old fashion way. Just tell the person using the bandwidth your game traffic is more important than their traffic and they should get off until you are done playing your game. That is all QoS does. Someone is not going to get the bandwidth they want it is just a electronic enforcement.

Solution

DiamondxCrafting

Reputable
Jan 20, 2015

I know QoS doesn't magically give me more bandwidth, I want to prioritize my machine over others so while other can still stream videos I can be able to play, telling everyone else to not use the internet while I'm playing is really not an option.

And what happens if they feel that their ability to watch video without it stalling and buffer is more important than your games. This is very different than if someone were say downloading a big file and it takes a couple minutes longer.

Your first step it to get a agreement on whose traffic really is more important.

After that you need to buy a different router.

DiamondxCrafting

Reputable
Jan 20, 2015

Believe it or not when you're watching a 720p video you don't need 10Mb of bandwidth, you can still stream with no buffering using less bandwidth, which is what QoS should be able to do; thanks for your insights, but I'm good.

The you have a different problem. If say the 720p stream uses 4mbps and the game uses 1mbps you still have 5mbps unused and you don't need QoS. Either something else is using you bandwidth or you have a problem that QoS will not fix.

DiamondxCrafting

Reputable
Jan 20, 2015

That's not how youtube works, youtube uses more bandwidth when it can to load more of the video faster, making it use more bandwidth than comfortably needed, which is again, why I want to get this QoS working.

You can believe what you like. The network tab in the event monitor will quickly prove you wrong.