[SOLVED] Need help with DSL cabling

Sep 13, 2019
Sorry I can't find any other forum that could help, hopefully someone can help me here. I have a dryloop DSL line installed in my house, the plug is located inconveniently in the Kitchen so I want to move it to my family room. A friend gave me a very long (white) telephone cable (4 wires), he said it's high quality phone wires. So I took the plate/plug off from the kitchen and plug 2 of the wires into it. Down in the basement I plug the same 2 wires into the DSL box where the kitchen line used to be plugged in (exact same order), but it can't connect, I plugged everything back and it works again. Does it have to be the exact same type of cable for it to work?

Solution
DSL cable is just simple wire in most cases. It does not have to have twisted pairs etc. There is some limitation on the wire gauge but as long as it is not very thin wire it should be ok.

Now if the DSL connection was very close to the distance limit you might have issues but most times a extra 100ft or so does not have much effect when you consider the line has gone 1000s of feet before that.

I am assuming you have someplace the jack comes into the house and there is a short cable connecting the jack to the modem. What I would do to test is take the long cable and connect it between the jack and the modem and see if it works. This will quickly tell you if your problem is cable length since the only difference is the...
DSL cable is just simple wire in most cases. It does not have to have twisted pairs etc. There is some limitation on the wire gauge but as long as it is not very thin wire it should be ok.

Now if the DSL connection was very close to the distance limit you might have issues but most times a extra 100ft or so does not have much effect when you consider the line has gone 1000s of feet before that.

I am assuming you have someplace the jack comes into the house and there is a short cable connecting the jack to the modem. What I would do to test is take the long cable and connect it between the jack and the modem and see if it works. This will quickly tell you if your problem is cable length since the only difference is the cable.

After that it is a mater of figuring out where your wires go.

Solution