Need help with dual monitor. Don't know what cable to buy.

Linnaeus

Reputable
Mar 8, 2014
I have a Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 and a MSI Z97s Krait motherboard. I just found out that in order to go dual monitor you must have both monitors sourcing from a single output. This means I can't have my newer monitor hooked up to the GPU and older monitor hooked up to motherboard. Since I can't source from two different outputs I need to buy a cable to hook up both monitors to my GPU. The problem is that I don't know which cable to get. My other monitor is pretty old and only has VGA and DVI-D. My GPU has DVI-D, DVI-I, DP (x3), and an HDMI (which is currently being occupied by my new monitor). With all these options which cable do I buy? Should I get a:

• DVI-D to DVI-D
    DVI-D to DVI-I adapter
    DVI-I to DP adapter
    VGA to DVI-D
    VGA to DVI-I
    VGA to DP
    etc
There are so many options and I have no idea which one to pick. I'm thinking of going with a DVI-D to DisplayPort adapter. Should I get an adapter or will an adapter affect how my monitor displays?

Solution
Simplest and cheapest like the above mentioned is DVI-D to DVI-D. No point wasting money for adapter cables which you don't need. Two screens don't need to utilize any special ports in order to work so it'll be absolutely fine doing it this way.