[SOLVED] Need help with faulty PC

Aug 13, 2021
Hello!

I've built a PC myself in last november and until a month ago it had no problems at all, then suddenly it started cutting the power with a click noise under light load. It happens randomly, no matter how long was the system on, sometimes it just happens when I'm browsing the internet, sometimes in the middle of a game (American Truck Simulator, Raceroom Racing Experience, Genshin Impact, none of them are particularly taxing on the system). I clean the system regularly, the PSU gets fresh air, temps are pretty normal, no overheating or any fps problems. When I boot it again it works like nothing has happened for a while and it is so random that I cannot really determine what could be the issue. 650W should be fine for this system and I doubt the PSU draws too much power during those games. I've used a full system load test but that didn't cause any issues. Thank for your help in advance.

The system specs:
AMD 3700x
ASUS RX5700 XT
Gigabyte B550M H motherboard
2x8GB HyperX Fury 3333Mhz RAM
Thermaltake PSU (650W)
Windows 10

I'm using a dual monitor setup (one is 1080p 165Hz the other one is a 720p 75Hz), it shouldn't cause issues.

Last edited:
Solution
I think the thermaltake power supply is at fault. I may be wrong but the fact your system was working until about 1 month back, then begins cutting off lead me to say power supply is aging if not failing.

What happens is that power supplies age as they get older. In other words as they get older, they can’t always deliver the power they are rated for.
Have a look at this thread to see where your unit rates. But personally when working on systems I’ve just not been the most impressed with thermaltake power supplies.

Aug 13, 2021
Which model of thermaltake 650w? Most thermaltake units are poor quality.
Smartpower or something, still, it worked fine before and it wasn't a cheap one either, but I don't want to buy a new PSU if something else causes the issue. Probably I won't have a choice though if I want to RMA it and still be able to play games.....

I think the thermaltake power supply is at fault. I may be wrong but the fact your system was working until about 1 month back, then begins cutting off lead me to say power supply is aging if not failing.

What happens is that power supplies age as they get older. In other words as they get older, they can’t always deliver the power they are rated for.
Have a look at this thread to see where your unit rates. But personally when working on systems I’ve just not been the most impressed with thermaltake power supplies.

Solution