lilblood904

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
hi im in the proses of building a computer. the comp is gonna b used for playing diablo 3 max settings,
producing profecinal audio. ( making beats / recording ) i am trying to find a good hhd fo this.

i was thinking 7xxx RPM 2x500GB in raid 0 for a total of 1TB space. unless its better to have 2x1TB for total of 2tb space.

i dont know who makes some good hhd so can some 1 help me pick out a good reliable one i can use in raid 0?
( i dont know what it means when they say raid-0/1/5/etc ) lil help on that i always here raid 0 is good. )

i.e : i think ima use this ssd for windows 7. sounds good? or sould i be looking at somethng bettet ?
SSD : Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2CCA 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal SSD – 214.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148448

Solution
Ssds are fast enough, music production isn't too demanding, so raid 0 on a ssd is a waste and double the danger as when one drive dies, all you're data on both are gone. If you really don't need much space, a single large ssd is fine. Most people usually need more space so go the ssd+hdd route.

ichihaifu

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
Go for OCZ SSD. HDD's are too damn expensive right now, even more so if you plan on buying two and placing them in raid.
Instead get one SSD, install Win7 and you're good to go. Buy HDD for other data.
(You still might want to read some guides on how to increase the lifespan of SSD)

And if you are going to ask a public board for help, you cant expect response immediately.

lilblood904

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011

so what are some real benefits of having a ssd? i mean ssd is only used for windows right? lik start windows n then what does it do?

The main benefit of a ssd is access times, which makes everything on the ssd more responsive; near instant startup of any software or file on the ssd. With a 128gb ssd you'll be able to fit windows and probably all of your software. Any left over space can be used for working files. You don't want to fill it completely, it will slow down when it's almost full so leave like 20% free.

Ssds are fast enough, music production isn't too demanding, so raid 0 on a ssd is a waste and double the danger as when one drive dies, all you're data on both are gone. If you really don't need much space, a single large ssd is fine. Most people usually need more space so go the ssd+hdd route.

Solution