Need Help With First Time Build $2000

iDan_88

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
I need help with a build that I am going to be doing. I don't know much about building a computer and would like some help as to what I should get.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: December

BUDGET RANGE: $1500 - $2000

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: CAD, Multitasking, Internet usage, Gaming, all that jazz.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: N/A

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg or any other reputable place

PARTS PREFERENCES: For monitor at least 24", a zalman cpu cooler, fan controller, water cooling (so the case has to have water cooling ability)

OVERCLOCKING: maybe

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: whichever is better for at least 24" monitor

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: quiet with side window panel

You want to include the water cooling kit in that budget or you have planned it for later ???

and about the graphics card - If you want a really high performing card for the CAD, then you have to go with a Workstation card, that might not be so good for gaming...
Or you can choose a good gaming card, that would not be so good with CAD, but would be decent...
So tell your preference about that...

Well I just noticed the purchase date...
IF it is December, then it would not be a good idea to decide on the parts right now...
By December, so many things would change in the Hardware world - New CPUs, graphics card, harddrives,...
So better not plan the components now as there would be better for the same price later...

iDan_88

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
December was an initial test point as I did not know if I would have the money before the end of September. I have looked into my funds and have calculated that I can have this before the end of September.

^ Hmm...But still I would put on Hold the CPU, graphics card options till then...
Rest of the components would not change much within that time duration...

Here is a setup that you can have as an reference...

CPU - i7 920 (Currently the best for the money and is best suited for your needs...But intel might launch new i7s so you might want to check that out before you finalize, check the reviews...

Mobo - Many good parts are available from manufacturers like ASUS, Gigabyte, EVGA...

RAM - 6GB DDR3 1600MHz with preferably CAS 7

HDD - 1TB WD Black/ even the Samsung F3 1TB drives are good options...
Maybe an 80GB intel SSD(34NM) would be a good addition if you can get it inside the budget...

CASE - Best for you needs - CM HAF 932...has slots for water cooling pipes to pass through and is a full tower and has side window...

PSU - Corsair 850TX - Would be suffice for dual card setup + Water cooling

Monitor - ASUS 24" - Resolution - 1920X1200 or 1080p...

Water cooling setup - Am not much aware what are the best components available...Maybe you can open a thread here to get better responses for the water cooling options...
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-29-183.html

But check the forums again before you buy...