[SOLVED] Need Help with GPU 6 Pin Connector!

ahmedsalmanbajwa

Reputable
May 5, 2018
Hope you guys are doing well,
I just bought a new Gtx 750 ti (Gigabyte wind force 2gb version) and I realized it needs 6 pin connector
I have a Dell Optiplex 9020 tower and it has a 300 watt psu with no extra 6 pin connectors, Now Since this is a dell pc I can't replace me psu either as the mobo has a 8 pin connector - Unlike all other 24 pin connector PSUs. Soo I'm wondering what to do now
Is there a way to run this card rn? Any other way to Upgrade my PSU or get a 6 pin connector somehow
Any help would be appreciated thx

Solution
I've looked at this option but 1 major problems, people say 24 pin to 8 pin connectors are really unreliable + could burn my whole mobo
If you use a group regulated PSU and/or an adapter with undersized wires then yes there would be problems.

Since the motherboard is 12vo and it would create a crossload that could make a group regulated PSU unstable. A DC-DC psu would not have this issue as the 12v rail and minor rails are independently regulated.

The adapter I linked uses 18AWG and will be fine for the power pulled by the system.

Other option would be to return or sell the 750ti and get a card that does not require supplemental power.
If you have two free 4-pin Molex connectors, you can get a converter that takes those and converts it to a 6-pin PCIe plug.

^ what he said, not a fan of molex to gpu connectors but in your case you'll be fine.

You could have got a 750ti that didn't require external power but in all honesty you're better off even with adapters because the pci slot on that dell only supports up to 45w cards

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you really have few options here. the slot won't power even the 75w version of the 750ti.

using an adapter is not great either since overall the psu won't have the power to feed the card anyway. keep in mind an adapter does not create power. so if the psu is already taxed, pulling more will only cause lots of problems.

i'd be saving up for an upgrade to get away from the pre-built nightmares of trying to upgrade.

if you have extra sata connections you can try a sata to 6-pin adapter, but again this is not really recommended for the above stated reasons.

ahmedsalmanbajwa

Reputable
May 5, 2018
you really have few options here. the slot won't power even the 75w version of the 750ti.

using an adapter is not great either since overall the psu won't have the power to feed the card anyway. keep in mind an adapter does not create power. so if the psu is already taxed, pulling more will only cause lots of problems.

i'd be saving up for an upgrade to get away from the pre-built nightmares of trying to upgrade.

if you have extra sata connections you can try a sata to 6-pin adapter, but again this is not really recommended for the above stated reasons.
This pc ran both a gtx 750 ti Inno3d Oc edition and a Gtx 1050 for a while just fine, soo it can provide the 75 watt needed, sata to 6 pin could burn down the pc since Sata connections aren't really designed for giving power

bignastyid

Titan
I've looked at this option but 1 major problems, people say 24 pin to 8 pin connectors are really unreliable + could burn my whole mobo
If you use a group regulated PSU and/or an adapter with undersized wires then yes there would be problems.

Since the motherboard is 12vo and it would create a crossload that could make a group regulated PSU unstable. A DC-DC psu would not have this issue as the 12v rail and minor rails are independently regulated.

The adapter I linked uses 18AWG and will be fine for the power pulled by the system.

Other option would be to return or sell the 750ti and get a card that does not require supplemental power.

Solution

ahmedsalmanbajwa

Reputable
May 5, 2018

The adapter is costing me as much as a new motherboard here XD Our currency is just weird,

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
not sure what you want to do since you've shot down every idea presented.

there is no difference using a molex adapter vs a sata one. they both provide similar power. a 6-pin connection is designed to provide up to 75w. the 100w for the card is split between the 6-pin and the mobo slot so it won't ask for more than 75w from either connection but they tend to rely on the pcie as much as possible to avoid overdrawing the mobo slot.

2 sata to 1 6-pin is an option if you can do it. or buy the new psu. or get a whole new system. but these are pretty much your options, so figure out which one you can manage locally.

there is no other option expect to return the 750ti for one that does not need a 6-pin which is what i would do if you can't get a new psu. it's safest and the best thing to do!

ahmedsalmanbajwa

Reputable
May 5, 2018
not sure what you want to do since you've shot down every idea presented.

there is no difference using a molex adapter vs a sata one. they both provide similar power. a 6-pin connection is designed to provide up to 75w. the 100w for the card is split between the 6-pin and the mobo slot so it won't ask for more than 75w from either connection but they tend to rely on the pcie as much as possible to avoid overdrawing the mobo slot.

2 sata to 1 6-pin is an option if you can do it. or buy the new psu. or get a whole new system. but these are pretty much your options, so figure out which one you can manage locally.

there is no other option expect to return the 750ti for one that does not need a 6-pin which is what i would do if you can't get a new psu. it's safest and the best thing to do!
Yea thx for all the ideas, def gonna try them out if I can (Not the new system one tho, hell naw) however if nothing else works, I can sell away this card and get a gtx 1050 in the future