Need help with GPU and CPU related things please!

MankDemes

Reputable
Dec 18, 2015
Alright so I recently picked up a summer job, and I'd like to use the money I make on PC upgrades. I either want to upgrade my CPU or my GPU. I currently have:

Amd FX 6300 Black Edition
GTX 750TI Superclocked

I want to either upgrade to a 1060 when it comes out, or upgrade my CPU to a 8250, as I don't want to purchase a new motherboard.

Which should I go for, and would the 6300 bottleneck the 1060 if I upgrade my GPU?

Thanks!

Solution
It depends on the game and the resolution. It also depends on what your power supply can support.

The GTX 1060 is purported to be faster than the GTX 980. There will likely be some bottlenecks there (not huge, but present). However you will still see a far bigger boost in gaming from a GPU upgrade as opposed to a CPU upgrade. Depending on if the price drops at the launch of the 1060 you might be best served by a GTX 970. RX 480 is also one to consider.
It depends on the game and the resolution. It also depends on what your power supply can support.

The GTX 1060 is purported to be faster than the GTX 980. There will likely be some bottlenecks there (not huge, but present). However you will still see a far bigger boost in gaming from a GPU upgrade as opposed to a CPU upgrade. Depending on if the price drops at the launch of the 1060 you might be best served by a GTX 970. RX 480 is also one to consider.

Solution

MankDemes

Reputable
Dec 18, 2015

I have a 500W PSU. Also, could you elaborate more on how much of a bottleneck problem I may have? I may have enough for an upgrade on both parts. Would an upgrade to an 8250 help at all?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
FX-8300/FX-8320/FX-8350/FX-8370 are all roughly equivalent. Basically just two more cores compared to the FX-6300.

More cores doesn't do much for games, you want faster cores.

I agree, the GPU is the more important upgrade right now. A CPU upgrade would require a new motherboard and possibly OS.

MankDemes

Reputable
Dec 18, 2015

I think you guys are probably right. I'm still kind of worried about the bottleneck though.

I wouldn't be that worried about it. If you want better performance a better GPU is definitely the way to go. You just got the job right? So you still need to make the money before you buy anything. You have time to wait for the GTX 1060 and other new cards to come out and be benchmarked before buying anything.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
A little less performance out of a GPU isn't the worst thing. The GPU will use less power as a result. When you do upgrade the rest, you will have nice GPU ready to go.

I did an odd upgrade like that once. Kept my Athlon X2 while I waited for a motherboard from Intel that I wanted to come out. In the meantime I grabbed a GTX285 that was on sale. Didn't gain any FPS improvement over my 8800GTS, but I was able to crank up some graphics settings so everything at least looked a little better.

GM107->GP106 isn't as huge a jump architecturally, but you should be able to crank all the eye candy up and not see much of a performance hit.