Question Need help with GPU coil whine and PSU making noise.

daviphilip3

Prominent
Feb 5, 2019
I recently upgraded my GPU from a GTX 1060 3GB to a RTX 2070 Black Gaming 8GB and purchased a Corsair CX 650 80 Plus Bronze for it. After installing everything it worked fine and it was quiet but my Intel Core i7-7700 @ 3.60GHz was getting high in temps so I purchased and installed a Corsair H60 Liquid Cooling and played for a couple days without any issues. Then today I noticed my PSU went from being silent to making noise it sounds as if one of my fans are near max speed but I thought it was because I was gaming a lot so I went on to play and when I loaded up Apex Legends I started hearing coil whine coming from my Graphics Card but it only stayed while I was in the main menu as soon as I got in game or exit the game it goes away. It's a decent level of sound I can hear it 2 feet away from the PC on a chair but not with my headphones on. After researching about my GPU/PSU it said that the reason my PSU fan is making noise is because I had to flip the fan upwards towards the case and so I did that and it got quieter but it still sounds like a fan running high and before it was silent and every time I'm in a game menu whether it's Apex Legends or Rainbow Six Seige I hear the coil whine coming from my Graphics Card so I'm wondering if I just need to swap out the PSU for a better one like a 750 plus Gold and refund the other PSU to get rid of the coil whine. Everything still runs smoothly and I'm still getting the same fps and performance in my games but I would rather not have the PSU fan be so loud and hear coil whine every time I get into a game menu considering I just bought them I didn't even hear this noise when I had my old PSU and GTX 1060 3GB.

I pinpointed the sound and it's coming from my GPU but the sound isn't from the GPU fans because I can adjust them and even put them to max speed and I don't hear the sound only when I get into game menus which is probably when I have really high fps.

Any suggestions on what it could be or what I should do? I just got the Card + PSU less than a week ago and I have a 30 day return policy with newegg so if I need to swap out the GPU I can do so within the next 3 weeks. Also the performance isn't affected everything still runs smooth and I get good frames in my games.

Specs:
BenQ XL2411 144hz monitor (1 year old)
ASUS Prime H270 Plus (2 years old)
EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Black Gaming (new)
Intel Core i7-7700 @ 3.60GHz (2 years old)
Corsair H60 Liquid Cooling (new)
Corsair CX 650W 80 Plus Bronze (new)
16 GB RAM (2 years old)
120 GB SSD (2 years old)

warpcrash

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
Ok so the sound is coming from the.... GPU? but not the fans? Last time I check the only moving part of a GPU was the fans....

do this for me. set fans to 0% or off. Launch game. Listen for sound for about 1 min. Exit game turn fans back on. report in to me.

daviphilip3

Prominent
Feb 5, 2019
Ok so the sound is coming from the.... GPU? but not the fans? Last time I check the only moving part of a GPU was the fans....

do this for me. set fans to 0% or off. Launch game. Listen for sound for about 1 min. Exit game turn fans back on. report in to me.
I set the GPU fans to 0% and I still heard the coil whine then turned them back up and still heard it it's not the fans could it be the motherboard but I used a toilet paper roll to listen to pinpoint it and it sounds like it's coming directly from inside my GPU but that could be tunneling in from my motherboard. I also thought that the coil whine came from the power supply running through the Graphics card coils and making the noise so would the fans need to be on for that to happen?

TRENDING THREADS