[SOLVED] Need help with gpu/psu upgrade on Dell Inspiron 3668

Aug 1, 2019
Alright Ill try to keep this short and simple.

I have an Dell Inspiron 3668, specs are in the link right below:

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/us/en/04/inspiron-3668-desktop/inspiron3668_setupandspecs/specifications?guid=guid-3c38ef9d-0b2f-4e19-a8c0-498b85881b11&lang=en-us

Ok so basically I am trying to replace the gpu of this pc. I bought a Geforce 1060 6gb SC and a new power supply to replace the one in the pc because that only had a max of 240 watts. I got a 500 watt EVGA psu. So basically I had 2 questions. First off would this technically even work, cause I found a couple articles on an upgrade on this pc and there were a whole variety of answers to this question. If it were to work, my second question would be if I stored my extra cables from my psu inside the pc case would there too much restriction on air flow since I got a non modulated psu. I was stupid not to come to these tech forums and ask these questions before I bought all this shiz so if this would work it would be great.

Here are some pics of how I assembled some of the excess cables inside the pc.

View: https://imgur.com/a/1I1t3An

I am just waiting on a 24 pin to 6 pin conversion cable for my motherboard, but if you guys could validate what I am doing to upgrade my pc right now that would be great lol.

May 19, 2019

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/us/en/04/inspiron-3668-desktop/inspiron3668_setupandspecs/specifications?guid=guid-3c38ef9d-0b2f-4e19-a8c0-498b85881b11&lang=en-us

Ok so basically I am trying to replace the gpu of this pc. I bought a Geforce 1060 6gb SC and a new power supply to replace the one in the pc because that only had a max of 240 watts. I got a 500 watt EVGA psu. So basically I had 2 questions. First off would this technically even work, cause I found a couple articles on an upgrade on this pc and there were a whole variety of answers to this question. If it were to work, my second question would be if I stored my extra cables from my psu inside the pc case would there too much restriction on air flow since I got a non modulated psu. I was stupid not to come to these tech forums and ask these questions before I bought all this shiz so if this would work it would be great.

I am just waiting on a 24 pin to 6 pin conversion cable for my motherboard, but if you guys could validate what I am doing to upgrade my pc right now that would be great lol.
Some warning ; I tried a similar upgrade to my OptiPlex 5040 . Ordered my psu adapter and everything seemed to be going good . Now I can't say if this applies to you're system as well but basically the voltage on my GPU was higher then what my dell motherboard allowed in the pcie slot . I basically wasted a bunch of money and had to buy new components to go with the cpu. As far as air flow I think you should be fine really , just make sure you're cables are not against the gpu fans as that will be a disaster . Would be good practice to monitor temps for the first little while just to be sure .

PS - Next time skip the oem headache and just do a full build . You'll thank yourself later .

Reactions: Get_Hypaclapped
May 19, 2019

Some warning ; I tried a similar upgrade to my OptiPlex 5040 . Ordered my psu adapter and everything seemed to be going good . Now I can't say if this applies to you're system as well but basically the voltage on my GPU was higher then what my dell motherboard allowed in the pcie slot . I basically wasted a bunch of money and had to buy new components to go with the cpu. As far as air flow I think you should be fine really , just make sure you're cables are not against the gpu fans as that will be a disaster . Would be good practice to monitor temps for the first little while just to be sure .

PS - Next time skip the oem headache and just do a full build . You'll thank yourself later .

Reactions: Get_Hypaclapped
Aug 1, 2019

I'll make sure to check the voltage on my GPU and motherboard to see if they comply. Thanks so much for the reply!

May 19, 2019
I'll make sure to check the voltage on my GPU and motherboard to see if they comply. Thanks so much for the reply!
I did soem more research and it appears that your specific model had the option of actually coming with a GTX 750 ti installed in the system so I would go ahead and say you're safe for the upgrade . Best of luck ! I'd love to know if it does in fact work out for you .

Aug 1, 2019
I did soem more research and it appears that your specific model had the option of actually coming with a GTX 750 ti installed in the system so I would go ahead and say you're safe for the upgrade . Best of luck ! I'd love to know if it does in fact work out for you .
Alright! Thanks so much for the help!

Aug 1, 2019
Mcleese902 can you help me on one more thing? I took out the old psu and the old gpu of the pc and I just wanted to mess around with how I was going to organize it in the future, but when I went to replace the old PSU and gpu the computer wouldn't boot. The motherboard was working fine, the fans were all working, but the power button on my pc was blinking amber which apparently means there is an internal power problem. What does that have to do with anything? I wanted to turn on the computer to turn on legacy boot, but it just wouldnt power on. Before this all happened I turned off UEFI secure boot and proceeded to reset my computer because I wanted a fresh start with my new gpu.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS