Need help with Graphics card Installation! (Upgrading from AMD onboard to Nvidia dedicated)

jonny420

Prominent
Feb 23, 2017
Hi all. I've decided to upgrade my Pc graphics card from its AMD radeon R7(onboard) to an EVGA GTX 1050 ti and have had bad experiences when it comes to installing graphics cards. The last time did not work out at all for me So I got a new PC (prebuilt). I've made sure my chassis has the space required to fit the card and I know I have the power to run the new card and than some but I dont really know how to install it properly. If anyone could give me instruction step by step on how to install my new card and/or disable my onboard card if I must ect* and get everything working well with my new display device it would be much appreciated. Below is the info I have at the moment.

AMD A10-7860k 3.6ghz Radeon R7 APU Quad Core 12 compute cores
16Gb G-skill DDR3 Ram
Cooler Master Elite V2 - 550W Power supply
MSI a68hm grenade ms-7891 Motherboard 1 PCIE
Windows 7 64bit Professional
2TB 7.2 rpm Sata Hard Drive

Solution
C:\AMD\Win7-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Crimson-ReLive-16.12.2-Without.NET-Jan3

^ that's just the download folder for and drivers/software - you can delete that anytime you want as its just taking unnecessary space up.

When you get your new GPU.

Before you physically install it
1. Goto add/remove programs - remove catalyst/radeon settings/crimson - whichever one you actually have installed.

2. Download ddu
http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Use the option to 'uninstall amd GPU drivers only & reboot'

Let it reboot , shut the pc down , fit your new GPU ,plug the monitor to the GPU not the onboard graphics output.
Boot up & download the nvidia experience package...

MCID47

Distinguished
Just make sure your PSU can handle your Dedicated GPU because they consume more power.
Im pretty sure you're using an APU so no need for IGP to disable, they will disable themselves automatically. If your IGP keep activate as a default, then go to the bios and take time to Reset the BIOS, so they can run at default state.

jonny420

Prominent
Feb 23, 2017

I ran a PSU calculator on coolermasters website and from its calculations I should have more than enough power. (Thats adding the 75w+ that the 1050 will add). Yeah I think it is an APU. All I know is its an AMD radeon r7. My processor is an A10 7860k I took it from what I read that the APU is actually pared with the processor or at least on the same dye if im correct. Just to be clear when you say I may have to reset the BIOS does that mean change the settings of the BIOS to look for my graphics from my PCIE or do I actually reset reset them? Thanks so much for taking some time to help. Just want everything to be good this time.

MCID47

Distinguished

You can just put the 1050 and turn the system on, if there's no sign of POST on the screen, then go to the BIOS and just Reset or Load Default as they will go to factory settings. But if everything goes fine then you are ready to go.

"I can provide my system info if needed"

That might help. Until that day, figure out if you have a UEFI bios motherboard or an older motherboard with the old style bios. Boot into your motherboard bios and look for the 'advanced' section that has a submenu called 'chipset', it's usually called something like that. This is where you'll see your integrated graphics is enabled. You don't want to change anything now, but if needed later this is where you'll come to disable the integrated graphics. You might as well learn where it is now.

edit: as I wrote this there have been more posts lol

jonny420

Prominent
Feb 23, 2017

Well Thanks! I really do appreciate it. Ill leave this forum up until I get the new card and try it out in a week or two that way if something goes wrong after I do what you have suggested maybe you could give me some more tips or instructions. (BTW I just checked my A10 processor and it is indeed an APU.) Thanks. Your the man!

jonny420

Prominent
Feb 23, 2017
Alrighty. Ill deff keep that in mind. This card is supposed to be pretty power efficient I hear. Doesn't even use the 6 pin connector it just takes power straight from the motherboard i guess. Im sorry to keep this thread going at the moment but I have one more question. Should I or do I uninstall the APU drivers with something like ddu or can I just go right to installing the 1050 and just install its drivers and be good?

MCID47

Distinguished

Both of uninstalling a Driver using DDU and Install a new driver for the 1050 had no total effect, bear in mind that AMD and Nvidia is a different vendor and i never saw installing AMD driver can cause conflict to Nvidia graphic cards. Even i can do multiple desktop monitor with combining HD7750 and GTX680ti in a singlke system with no system conflict (i also had GT210 installed there, no conflict). In theory you can also do a SLi and Crossfire configuration in a single system.

Keeping the catalyst or crimson drivers inatalled can have a seriously negative impact.

So yes use ddu to uninstall just the amd graphics drivers & uninstall catalyst or crimson control centre from add/remove programs manually before you install the new GPU.

jonny420

Prominent
Feb 23, 2017
Well now im torn on whether to uninstall the drivers or not. One says yes and the other one says it doesn't matter if I do. I know there different vendors. You used both amd and nvidia on the same rig?

jonny420

Prominent
Feb 23, 2017

Interesting. I never thought that an SLI crossfire set up would work. I just thought maybe the AMD Radeon program I have in my task tray might mess with nvidia geforce experience. Or the other way around

MCID47

Distinguished

Yes, i did use them in a single system but not for all the time.
And just in case if they do getting a terrible experience or conflict, take madmatt advise since he's more experienced than me xD. Also, FYI Crossfire and SLi setup wont work at the same time so you can do SLi and CrossFire but you need to chose which one is active, you cant use both of them together.

jonny420

Prominent
Feb 23, 2017

Okie dookie much obliged. Ill let you know how it goes.

jonny420

Prominent
Feb 23, 2017

AMD A10-7860k 3.6ghz Radeon R7 APU Quad Core 12 compute cores
16Gb G-skill DDR3 Ram
Cooler Master Elite V2 - 550W Power supply
MSI a68hm grenade ms-7891 Motherboard 1 PCIE
Windows 7 64bit Professional
2TB 7.2 rpm Sata Hard Drive

Is this enough info? :Im sorry but im kind of new to forums. Need all the help I can get. What do you think?

jonny420

Prominent
Feb 23, 2017

Thanks so much for replying. Would you recommend uninstalling the Radeon Settings? I updated my drivers a while ago and I seem to have this rather than the Catalyst now. Same thing I figure but not sure. And would i uninstall the driver before installing the card or after?

C:\AMD\Win7-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Crimson-ReLive-16.12.2-Without.NET-Jan3 this seems to be where my drivers are if im correct but im not sure. This is the only AMD file I found during a quick search on my hard drive

jonny420

Prominent
Feb 23, 2017
To be honest the reason Im asking for so much detail is the last time I got screwed when trying to do this. Albeit that was on a used computer that had an unknown onboard graphics chip and had a gtx 650 installed and than uninstalled on it and it was just a mess. I ended up not having any graphics device on it what so ever so i chucked it

jonny420

Prominent
Feb 23, 2017
So basically I get ddu and uninstall amd crimson than uninstall all amd drivers but dont disable it from device manager. Than i shutdown and reboot to BIOS where I change the setting to boot the display adapter from the pcie rather than IGP than save and shut down. Than finally I install the 1050ti into the pcie port on my motherboard and reboot. After Windows come on I go to nvidias website and get the latest drivers for my card. Once they are finished installing I reboot one last time and im good to go hopefully. Let me know if you all agree thanks again!

C:\AMD\Win7-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Crimson-ReLive-16.12.2-Without.NET-Jan3

^ that's just the download folder for and drivers/software - you can delete that anytime you want as its just taking unnecessary space up.

When you get your new GPU.

Before you physically install it
1. Goto add/remove programs - remove catalyst/radeon settings/crimson - whichever one you actually have installed.

2. Download ddu
http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Use the option to 'uninstall amd GPU drivers only & reboot'

Let it reboot , shut the pc down , fit your new GPU ,plug the monitor to the GPU not the onboard graphics output.
Boot up & download the nvidia experience package.

http://www.geforce.co.uk/geforce-experience

5 minutes later you'll be up & running.

Solution

jonny420

Prominent
Feb 23, 2017

Gotcha. Thanks a lot for all your help. Really excited to get everything going. Ill leave this forum open untill I get the new card just in case I have any further questions but I think Im ready. Thanks so much.

jonny420

Prominent
Feb 23, 2017
Ill be receiving the 1050 on Tuesday so hopefully all will go well. So I have one more question.. Do I have to change anything in BIOS? Or change any settings? Your instructions are great madmatt30 but I didn't see anything about BIOS in there which would lead me to believe that I dont have too. I may be over complicating everything but I suppose its better to know everything in advance.

jonny420

Prominent
Feb 23, 2017
Got the card today and everything went fine. So much better than what I did have. Your instructions were amazing and I just wanted to say thanks so much for your time! Witcher 3 here I come!