Question Need help with HUGE backup solution? 20-25TB or so.

Vilesyde

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2016
Hey everyone,

So, I have around 20-25TB of media I want to store somewhere online as a backup. I have so many TV Shows, Movies, Documentaries, etc, I need somewhere online that I can make a backup. I have no idea where to even start looking for something that can host that many files and that large. Any suggestions? These are all currently spread across 5 HDDs of various sizes from 8tb to 16tb. Thanks for any advice, websites, etc.

USAFRet

Titan
Hey everyone,

So, I have around 20-25TB of media I want to store somewhere online as a backup. I have so many TV Shows, Movies, Documentaries, etc, I need somewhere online that I can make a backup. I have no idea where to even start looking for something that can host that many files and that large. Any suggestions? These are all currently spread across 5 HDDs of various sizes from 8tb to 16tb. Thanks for any advice, websites, etc.
A multi bay NAS box, with drives of sufficient size.
QNAP or Synology.

Then there a many many backup solutions and tools.

I'm assuming you'll still have many questions, so fire away.

And just for comparison, my QNAP based set of boxes has ~85TB available space.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
if you want it online there are plenty of services to chose from. one drive, google drive, drop box and so on and so on.

but you will be well out of the "free" account range and will have to research prices and such for your needs.

i don't see any reason to put it online unless you want to access it from multiple locations. traffic volume can also add to the cost so this is probably not a way to "share my library with everyone i know" type thing either.

as noted above a NAS set-up for your local network is the best way to go for your own use.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, there are options. I would start with any cloud services you already have accounts with?

Microsoft has storage bundles available with Office 365, you do have to contact them for 25TB though.

Amazon offers storage plans up to 30TB.

Google Drive, Drop Box, Carbonite, iDrive.

But 25TB is going to be like several hundred dollars a year at these places.

These days, 25TB isn't so much. 10-16TB drives range between $200 and $300, get yourself 4 of them, use one for parity and you are good for a while. Plus a system to run it if you don't have one. So you can compare that to about 4 years of cloud storage?

USAFRet

Titan
Well, there are options. I would start with any cloud services you already have accounts with?

Microsoft has storage bundles available with Office 365, you do have to contact them for 25TB though.

Amazon offers storage plans up to 30TB.

Google Drive, Drop Box, Carbonite, iDrive.

But 25TB is going to be like several hundred dollars a year at these places.

These days, 25TB isn't so much. 10-16TB drives range between $200 and $300, get yourself 4 of them, use one for parity and you are good for a while. Plus a system to run it if you don't have one. So you can compare that to about 4 years of cloud storage?
The other issue for the cloud solutions is access time.
How long would it take to get some of that back locally in time of need?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Many days indeed. Even if you have decent internet, but if the goal is offsite back up only and not direct access, then it doesn't really matter all that much.

Haven't made the jump to cloud myself, so if my house goes up, I lose it all. But I still practice regular backups to both internal drives, loose drives, and USB flash drives that I rotate through. Non of my bulky files are irreplaceable, mostly personal documents and the like.

I have been thinking about a private family cloud server though. Don't really have a good way to store and share photos and videos between everybody.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i use a cloud service for the most important stuff. but it's much less than 1TB since it is mostly docs and a few small pic folders i don't want to lose.

i encrypt it all before uploading so it is as safe as it can be on someone else's server.

USAFRet

Titan
My personal cloud is 2 HDD at another location.
Encrypted, vacuum bagged.
Life critical stuff, and full drive images from the 2 main PCs.

That is the 4th level backup.

Stuff like movies, etc are just on a 2 or 3 level backup routine.

May 17, 2023
Hey everyone,

hello. my use case is pretty much the same as you. i have 24tb of data that i keep on a server at home - 99% of it is media and photos. i noticed that you have your data spread across different hds varying in size. you might want to look at stablebit drive pool, which is what i use. it will pool your drives (can be different types, sizes) into one pool so that it is easier to manage since you can map it as one drive. you can also add a drive or replace a drive, it is almost like RAID.

i then back everything up to crashplan. i use the small business subscription which is one device, unlimited storage. this costs $11 a month, but it is worth it for unlimited storage. i have my backups scheduled every 8 hours, and it is usually quick since my media doesnt change much hour to hour. i have done restores on occasion and you can restore as fast as you connection will allow. hope that helps.

i stumbled into this thread somehow looking for a personal cloud solution that i can put on my server at home. i want to be able to sync mobile device media and photos using personal cloud software to my server, which then backs up to crashplan.