Question need help with i59600k an aorus z390 ultra OC plz

Jul 21, 2019
Ok so i built a rig for gaming that i can overclock .
Specs
Aorus z390 ultra
I5 9600k
512 xpg nvme
16gb g.skill tridentz 3200
Corsair Cs650m PS
Deep cool captain 240 ex
Problem is, i followed guide to overclock .BUT seems in bios says im OC'ed under windows 10 im not. also tried cpuz aorus and intel extreme tuning utility .All say im running 0.80ghz (800 mhz ).i tried everything to change it .only thing that works is throttlestop .what can cause this . when i use throttlestop an turn off bd prochot its runs at 4.6 ghz what i have set in bios. temp stays around 30c at idle around 50 on all 6 core during stress test.if i run the comp without throttle stop it stays at 800mhz even under load .when i click the bd prochot on throttle stop i see on intel extreme tuning utility thermal throttle lights up an drops down to 0.80 an stays that way.Can this be a messed up mobo even though its brand new ? Any info would be very much appreciated. Maybe i missed something in bios to stop it from thermal throttling i dont know . But i followed everything done on gigabyte walk through. I changed all power settings in windows too . All set to high performance . Also there are 2 cpu plugs on board atx 12v 2x2 and atx 12v 2x4 i read i only need one the 12v 2x4 but could i need both to oc?

Last edited:

yaxy123

Reputable
Aug 3, 2017
800 MHz is the frequenzy cpu's run at to save power.

If you want to disable power saving completely like most overclockers do, go into advanced frequency settings and turn off c-states

Edit: didn't see you changed windows power settings.

Jul 21, 2019
yes changed all that. its all in the oc walk through from gigabyte. I don't get it honestly its very confusing as to why its staying at 800mhz all the time. disabled all the c-states. turned off all the power saving.changed the windows to high performance . the cpu max an mini are both at 100% too.

What is your cpu temperature at idle?
If your cooler is operating properly, I expect to see 10-15c. over ambient.
What is your max temperature under load?
HWmonitor will tell you the max.
If it ever reached 100c. you are throttling and likely your cooler is not doing the job.

Yes, if your motherboard has both a 8 pin and a 4 pin eps cpu connector you need to have them both connected if you are going to overclock.

Your best bet is the intel extreme tuning utility.

Possibly in your windows power options you have the max cpu % at something like 20%.
You want it to be 100%.

Jul 21, 2019
Yea temps are good.but even without ocing the mhz shouldnt stay at 800mhz .under throttle stop under limits there is bd prochot in red so its keeping it stuck at 800mhz .my max temp was 60 running all 6 cores at 4.6ghz 1.35v with throttle stop while running a stress test.so i dunno whats goin on .

yaxy123

Reputable
Aug 3, 2017
What is your cpu temperature at idle?
If your cooler is operating properly, I expect to see 10-15c. over ambient.
What is your max temperature under load?
HWmonitor will tell you the max.
If it ever reached 100c. you are throttling and likely your cooler is not doing the job.

Yes, if your motherboard has both a 8 pin and a 4 pin eps cpu connector you need to have them both connected if you are going to overclock.

Your best bet is the intel extreme tuning utility.

Possibly in your windows power options you have the max cpu % at something like 20%.
You want it to be 100%.
"Yes, if your motherboard has both a 8 pin and a 4 pin eps cpu connector you need to have them both connected if you are going to overclock." - I'm not using the 4 pin and it's only needed for extreme overclocking, this is according to Gigabyte themselves.

"Your best bet is the intel extreme tuning utility." - This utility is not good and he'll get better results running MCE on his Motherboard.

Sry if this was a bit harsh but didn't wanna spread misinformation :p

yaxy123

Reputable
Aug 3, 2017
yes changed all that. its all in the oc walk through from gigabyte. I don't get it honestly its very confusing as to why its staying at 800mhz all the time. disabled all the c-states. turned off all the power saving.changed the windows to high performance . the cpu max an mini are both at 100% too.
Run Cinebench r20 and compare results to others, I think maybe 2500 not sure tho.

If you get normal scores your chip works and the sensors must be broken.

Otherwise, either mobo or CPU is broken and you should contact Gigabyte to see if they'll help you out. My experience with their support has been pretty good but it seems to depend on who you get, at least you don't get the standard copy-paste that doesn't answer your question.

Jul 21, 2019
Yea i just got of phone with gigabyte tech he says that he thinks its the mobo. He asked what everything was at told him it was running at 800 mhz after he had me install bios update to f8.he said that shouldnt be .

Jul 21, 2019
Something is keeping it in bd prochot constantly. Shows it in throttle stop an hwinfo.used 2 diff power sources so rules that out.liquid cooler is just taken outta the box whole build only 3 days old. All brand new componets.i guess i just got a shitty board.i ran intels processor diag processor passes all tests.

Your processor is getting a signal to throttle.
Since your temperatures seem to be ok, some other component, like the graphics card or other software is sending the signal.

Back off all overclocking. Even at stock, you should see higher than 800.
Run a simple stress test with cpu-Z and monitor the multiplier.

If you can, try filling in the 4 pin eps connector; you will need an adapter for your psu.

I think I would start all over again with a clean windows install.
If that fails to do the job, then your motherboard is likely faulty and should be returned per the opinion of the gigabyte rep.

Jul 21, 2019
Yea its not changing in bios either still at 800mhz in bios so waiting on an approval then shipping it out.i mean i just opened it had it for like a month though so doubt they will send me a new one .probably just fix this one.onlything i have in comp is ram, psu an cooler.Didnt install gpu yet wanted to test board an stuff before i did cable managment an added everything.