need help with i7 7700k with ASUS Prime z270-k overclocking and cooling

maris

Prominent
Dec 3, 2017
hello

i already have ASUS Prime z270-k and thinking to buy i7 7700k and overclock up to ~4.8GHz, i doubt i want to try 5GHz, because im not sure if that will work stable wtih my MB

so with current case i have put in Air cooler or 120mm liquid... i was thinking about EVGA CLC 120, would it be enough or better to buy another case and put in 240 or 280 cooler? i have not enough space in case, because i have EVGA 1080 Hybrid GPU, so radiator is already installed in case back..

also i am not sure if my PSU will still handle... i have EVGA 650W G3 Plus

WildCard999

Titan
Overclocking comes down to cooling and the silicon lottery, you may or may not reach those overclocks even with sufficient cooling. That being said and you having limited room for another AIO I'd suggest going with high end air as it will be as effective if not better then a 120mm AIO but also much quieter. What case do you have?

Also your PSU is plenty for CPU & GPU overclocking and is a excellent model so no worries there.

A few things to remember while overclocking...
-Max Vcore is 1.4V, going higher could result in electromigration and could drastically shorten the lifespan of your CPU.
-Max core temp for gaming/rendering or high loads should be under 80C.
-When increasing speed, increase at a 100mhz at a time then test the CPU for temps/stability.

Much more info is in the Intel Temperature Guide by CompuTronix, it has links for the tools required as well.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html

maris

Prominent
Dec 3, 2017
i have ~4 years old Cooler Master case, it has space on top for 240mm , but since GPU cooler is in back, then ~20mm is cutted off, because GPU cooler is over that hole

or maybe there is air cooler, which is pushing air to top and NOT to back of case? i have CM EVO 212 now, but it even doesn't handle i7 7700, max temp is ~84C

maris

Prominent
Dec 3, 2017
or maybe i can turn, that it will push air from back to front and in front of case i can install fan which will push it out from case...

i don't like that now CPU fan is pushing heat to GPU radiator, that is why was thinking about AIO

WildCard999

Titan
Well hot air rises so it's either going to go from it mounted sideways to vertical won't make a significant difference and having the air go through the 1080 Hybrid won't hurt anything as I'm sure that runs very cool. You could get the EVGA CLC 120 and I'm sure it'll be better then some of the med priced air coolers.