Need help with installing fans in computer.

InQuisTa

Reputable
Nov 11, 2015
I'm rebuilding an old computer and switching out everything, basically a full remodel. I'm getting the ASUS Sabertooth 990fx mobo which has 6 fan connecters and all of them are 4 pin:
1 x CPU Fan connector(s) (1 x 4 -pin)
1 x CPU OPT Fan connector(s) (1 x 4 -pin)
4 x Chassis Fan connector(s) (4 x 4 -pin)
I am getting the case Corsair CCSPEC-02 Carbide SPEC-02 Black which has 6 fan slots:
Front: (x2) 120/140mm
Top: (x2) 120mm
Rear: (x1) 120mm
Bottom: (x1) 120mm
I need to buy my own fans and I'm not sure about the pins on those and want to ask how do I install those fans if they aren't 4 pin or if they cant reach the connectors.

Also I have the AMD FX 8350 8core black edition cpu and I need a new cpu cooler. I'm not confident with water coolers as my old water cooler's fan broke and lead to my cpu overheating and shutting down my computer about 10 secs after boot (someone confirm if this is true or something else is wrong please.) Please recommend a cpu cooler and 6 fans for the case please. I'm using MSY to buy these so I hope they have it.

Lutfij

Titan
If the fan connectors can't reach the header you either:
1| Buy a fan extender, be it either for 4 pin(PWM) or 3 pin(voltage regulated).
2| When working with all PWM fans, you can invest in a fan hub/splitter like an Akasa FP5 or the Swiftech 8-Way PWM splitter.

You should be wary though that the placement of a fan at the bottom will:
a| Bring in more dust.
b| will not be possible if your PSU is long seeing how you're going for a beefy AMD(AM3+)system.

In order for us to get any bearing with your CPU cooler, what unit do you have, what sort of an overclock were on on , if any and where did you mount it? All those questions(plus more) would help us in figuring out if the cooler was faulty, if the fan was faulty and/or if the unit was not adequate for your system's needs.

Mind sharing your full system's specs with us?

*Ah Australia...back on topic though, you're going to need to provide a budget as well for the fans and CPU cooler. I'd leave one fan off the list since it's doubtful the 6th fan would go in the bottom.

InQuisTa

Reputable
Nov 11, 2015

Yes I've changed the case to Corsair SPEC-ALPHA (CC-9011084-WW) SPEC-Alpha Black Silver Mid Tower so it only has 4 fans (3 stock fans from corsair which is pretty good and then the cpu cooler that im getting so I dont need to buy extras. The water cooler i had before was seidon 120v plus and I took it to a computer store which diagnosed as the heatsink was lose or something and the pump's ( the thing that sits on top of the cpu) fan was broken, like the thing inside the pump or something.
Basically I took off the back and front panel and then put 2 big fans that I use for summer on full blast on both side and turned on pc, it still rose from 47C to 90 in around 30 secs and shut off upon boot up. I touched the back of the mobo where the heatsink is and it was really hot so its not false reading.