Question Need help with installing the optimum amount of RAM on my Lenovo IdeaPad 310-15ISK

Aug 16, 2019
My laptop has one stick of RAM soldered to the board which is 4GB RAM DDR4 2133Mhz (check Lenovo IdeaPad 310-15ISK)

It has one slot which originally came with 4GB more RAM but since then stopped working and I threw it out.

Now what size and frequency of RAM should I install to incorporate dual channel memory/achieve the maximum performance? (4+4)/(4+8)/(4+16)

Aug 16, 2019
Both sticks of RAM must be the same capacity for dual channel to operate, so in your case you'll have to buy another 4GB stick to match the 4GB soldered stick.

Hi Phillip,

Thank you for your reply.

I guess my next question is that does that 4GB stick need to be of 2133Mhz frequency? And would a 4+4 (Dual Channel) work faster than 4+8? I require RAM for memory intensive programs like Photoshop, Premiere Pro etc and not at all for gaming.

Reactions: korakorakorakora
Aug 16, 2019
Crucial.com lists these RAM modules as compatible with Lenovo IdeaPad 310:

https://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Lenovo/ideapad-310-(15-inch)

But, as previously stated, you'll only get dual channel performance if both modules are the same capacity (4GB).

8GB total RAM with the added benefit of dual channel performance should be fine for Photoshop (that's the amount Adobe recommends):

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/photoshop/system-requirements.html

I had heard somewhere that if you install 8GB (4+8), 4GB out of the installed memory module and the soldered 4GB will run in dual channel and the rest in single channel mode, therefore still having the benefit of extra memory other than the 4+4 in dual channel moded.

Regardless, if the above is incorrect, will 4+4 which causes dual channel is true, will 4+4 in dual channel still be faster than 4+8 or maybe 4+16?

"I had heard somewhere that if you install 8GB (4+8), 4GB out of the installed memory module and the soldered 4GB will run in dual channel "

That's not my understanding of how dual channel works.

"Regardless, if the above is incorrect, will 4+4 which causes dual channel is true, will 4+4 in dual channel still be faster than 4+8 or maybe 4+16?"

Not as simple to answer as you may think.

More RAM will allow you to multitask without slowing PC to a crawl when virtual memory kicks in.
Dual channel allows RAM to work faster.

Reactions: korakorakorakora