Need help with ISO image

tburd

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
I have an iso image along with a product key for a 64 bit iso image of Win 7, I've tried using alcohol 120% iso burner to add it to a disk. I then try to boot from that disk to try to begin the install. Am I doing anything incorrect?

Thanks in advance!

And what is the error you receive ?

Personally, I have created ISO's using imgburn and the disks always worked.

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010

what os are you are you trying to do it from (is this a priated version or?)

is it a modified version?

alexinnes

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010

It could be one of two things:

First: The disk might not have burned properly thus meaning the computer is not seeing it as a bootable image. I usually use XP CD Burner http://cdburnerxp.se/en/home Its a good free bit of software that burns disks and has the option to make Bootable disks.
Don't be fooled by the name also, this software works on windows 7 and vista.

Second: In the bios the CD/DVD drive has not been set as the priority boot device so it will just use the hard drive as the first one.
To get into the bios its usually f2 of delete when you start the computer to get into it and it will let you change the boot priority.

I hope this helps

vliopiris

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012

You don't mention (!) what was the problem ?. I assume that the CD that you burned didn't start.
In that case (provided that you burned it right), your win 7 software is not a bootable CD.
Running your system, put your CD/DVD in your drive, READ the Installation Options first (backup all your critical data first) and start the Installation with CUSTOM option

tburd

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
The problem was i would select it as the cd/dvd as the boot device and it would sit there blank for a few seconds then just boot up to my current os.

Also no this is a completely legal image downloaded from my college's website.

Use imgburn !

CDdude55

Distinguished

That indicates that it either was not properly burned or didn't burn at all. As stated, use a different application to burn the image and then retry it.

vliopiris

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012

We assume therefor the ISO image file you've got is a legal one.
1. If you have only one dvd drive, copy the ISO file to a disk folder.
2. Dounload the free software a) Win RAR 4.0.1 or b) Image Burn

Use the imageburn (or win rar ) to extract the files and folders of the ISO file to a disk directory.
Then burn the entire software into a new DVD.
You can burn directly the iso file from a dvd drive to another dvd drive in case you have two (2) dvd drives (I assume the second can write).
Not to mention that your cd/dvd drive is the first boot device (or select it from your boot options)
This the normal procedure, provided that the one who burned the originally win 7 O.S into a ISO format file, did it right (I believe that this is not a torrent Iso download !)
Finally, read again the installations options for win7 for a Bootable Or an Upgrade Version ! and consider the case of a fully new installation in your disk with or without formating the partition
Good luck