Need Help With Laptop RAM !

mustardmamba

Reputable
May 26, 2014
Hey guys
So I bought a laptop a week ago which already has 4 gb Ram. I would like to upgrade the Ram to 8 gb and i would like to ask the following:
Can i just buy a random Single module 4 gb Ram or do i have to buy a kit that includes 2X4 4gb ram because of the dual chanell ?
My laptop is the: Lenovo G710 with Moba: Ginkgo 7A1. It has 4 ram modules and 16 gb total.

Thank you all in advance.

The key issue here is for all the memory modules to be compatible with each other. The modules do not necessarily have to be run in dual channel configuration for compatibility (they can be run in single channel configuration), but it is usually preferred to have the modules running in dual channel mode to maximize memory bandwidth.

Using another single module, even with the same part/model number as existing module(s), there is no guarantee that all of the modules will be compatible due to variations in memory module characteristics.

To ensure compatibility, it is usually recommended to get dual (or triple, or quad) channel memory kits, as the modules within the kit are guaranteed to be compatible.