[SOLVED] Need Help with M.2 NVMe vs M.2 SATA slot identification

Sugar Kaine Mostly

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2015
Yes, believe it or not, but HP does not have ANY documentation I KID YOU NOT for my motherboard configuration for expandability regarding the HP Zbook 15 G2. Now either my laptop is super unique, or it the info should be easier, but I'm trying to seek info and your guidance for my upgrade options. My Zbook 15 G2 comes with a standard PCIe 3.0 x4 M.2 NVMe slot at 2260 lenght. Next to it is an empty slot that accepts the B Key format. I can't find any documentation online nor HP's site for parts list nor mentioning the actual slot!!!

What I'm trying to achieve is occupy my B Key slot. I would assume that its a classic NGFF housed in an M.2 type slot but using the B key. So this isn't PCIe correct? Btw, it's only capable length is 2242. My concern is if I should be buying a SATA3 M.2 format drive at 2242 or a 2242 M.2 NVMe. I don't know if it's back compatible buy either one would fit into the M.2 slot. I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't know the speed or perforamnce of that slot.

2lth7up.jpg

HP ZBook 15 G2

Solution
Can you? Maybe.
Personally, I would replace the existing M.2 NVMe with a larger one.
The one you have is 256GB....replace with 1TB.

Sugar Kaine Mostly

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2015
sure that not for the wifi module?

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-zbook-15-g2-mobile-workstation/6978814/manuals
look at the Maintenance and Service Guide

Thanks for responding. I'm already using the 7260 wifi right above my Z Drive Turbo (2260 slot) in the pic provided. The slot I'm referring to is the left of my Sandisk Z Drive Turbo. The empty slot has the 2242 support screw at the middle on the top so I'm assuming it's for Solid State Drives. It has the 6 pin connector as well. My concern is the NGFF SATA3 or if it's PCIe compatible. I even went to HP's website and put my serial number and auto identifier and it doesn't show up!!!!! I bought this laptop from Newegg several years ago refurbished. Works great, but I need more storage for 4K proxies and I'm already using a 2TB Hybrid 7200rpm for backups, so my only slot available is the empty one which should be fine. I'm wondering if my model was a unique build with soldering, but I doubt it. I saw pics of the first gen Zbook 15 and I think I see this extra slot as well, not sure though. It is definitely B Key NGFF?

1zyj3ir.jpg

Sugar Kaine Mostly

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2015

Sugar Kaine Mostly

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2015
PCIe? No.
It is for a second WiFi device.

Thank you guys. It all makes sense. It wouldn't make sense (and my apologies) thinking that HP wouldn't provide additional storage expansion. I thought however for 10 years plus many mini wifi ports were PCI ''e''? Regardless, can I use an NGFF SATA 2242 SSD in that slot? I appreciate the expertise.

TRENDING THREADS