need help with MB H87-G43 bios upgrade

bob123765

Reputable
Feb 8, 2015
I have a brand new msi mb that won't post. I've tried everything. I swapped a psu with a known working one. I swapped a hd. I swapped my memory. I installed it in another tower. I installed it without a tower. I have both the 24 pin hooked up and the 8 pin as well. I took off my heat sink/processor to look for damage. Sure enough, there were some bent pins on the cpu socket. I straightened those out and tried it. Same thing. I've installed a few of these in the past and this is the only one that had issues. This one went very smoothly as well. It might have come already damaged. I've done enough reading on this to know it probably wont be fixed under warranty. Anyway. I then cleared the cmos. Finally, I noticed fans, hd, cd rom
etc. all started working, but still, no post. I contacted MSI to see if they could help me with this. They emailed me back and suggested that I try everything I've already tried. I then asked them for the latest bios version for this board and asked them for a web site link and some instructions. They said it was v2.7. I noticed that the version was dated 2010 and that was a little old. So that's why I'm here to see if anyone might be familiar with this board and might be able to help. Down below is all the info on my pc.
M.B. - h87-g43
--------------------
S.N. - #6017816-100B1402284131
----------------------------------------------
PSU - Silverstone 450W 80+ Bronze Certified SFX Power Supply
-----------------------------------------------------
MEMORY - Crucial Ballistix Sport 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
SSD - Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
I hope someone might know this board and be able to help me out. What I need is
1: a bios version no.
2: a web site link
3: some brief instructions how to install
------------------------------------------
I can't seem to find out this info for some reason. I
just don't want to install the wrong version and end up with a very expensive door stop.....thanx...bob

Latest BIOS for that board is 2.9 dated 7-21-2014 here:

http://us.msi.com/support/mb/H87-G43.html#down-bios

That board couldn't have a 2010 BIOS as it wasn't even manufactured yet until 2012-2013

MSI Mflash: http://us.msi.com/page/biosupdate

However, it's not possible to flash the bios, unless you can enter the BIOS, OR, have a flashback feature on your board or something similar, like many of the ASUS boards have, but which that board does not. If it's a bios issue, you will likely have to replace the entire ROM. It's more likely that one of those "bent" pins either broke contact inside the CPU or if it's the socket that is damaged on the motherboard, the issue is probably there. If you tried powering up with bent pins, that were bent and touching in just the right place, it could have also toasted the cpu or board.

bob123765

Reputable
Feb 8, 2015

bob123765

Reputable
Feb 8, 2015

Most CPUs have the pins on the CPU. The LGA 1150 has pads that contact the pins on the motherboard socket. I think it's a crappy design, prone to causing damage, but since they don't let me design them, there you go. Heh. It's very delicate design and doesn't tolerate even the slightest damage well so any movement of the pins could result in breakage, even if it's not in a visible area.