Question Need help with memory

BurritoBroski

Reputable
Jun 16, 2019
I've been looking at various threads across the internet and videos but it can not seem to solve my problem. I installed two new ram sticks 2 x 8gb corsair vengeance ddr4 cl15 3000mhz into my a320m pro-vh plus motherboard and it is saying that 8 gigs are hardware reserved. It has also not updated the speed of the ram as it is still only at 2133mhz. I have unchecked the maximum memory in system config and tried rebooting my system. I am fairly new to computers as well as only gotten this around a month ago. On windows 10 as well. Memory Memory

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
It has also not updated the speed of the ram as it is still only at 2133mhz
You'll need to enable XMP in BIOS in order to go above the 2133.

I installed two new ram sticks 2 x 8gb corsair vengeance ddr4 cl15 3000mhz
Assuming that these were both from the same pack?

Do you have latest BIOS installed? if not - install latest BIOS (but not BETA) here: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/A320M-PRO-VH-PLUS#down-bios
If you are using integrated graphics with APU, then this can also share RAM (up to 2G I believe).
Also I'm assuming it's a 64 bit Windows 10 with all this.

What is your full system spec?

Last edited:

BurritoBroski

Reputable
Jun 16, 2019
You'll need to enable XMP in BIOS in order to go above the 2133.

Assuming that these were both from the same pack?

Do you have latest BIOS installed? if not - install latest BIOS (but not BETA) here: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/A320M-PRO-VH-PLUS#down-bios
If you are using integrated graphics with APU, then this can also share RAM (up to 2G I believe).
Also I'm assuming it's a 64 bit Windows 10 with all this.

What is your full system spec?
Sorry im new to having a computer. CPU amd ryzen 5 2600, two corsair ram sticks 2 x 8 3000mhz cl15, mobo a320m pro-vh plus, windows 10. idk if gpu matters but gtx 1070ti. just downloaded the msi bios update. both sticks from same pack. XMP is enabled

What is the exact model of your memory kit?

Try powering off, pulling both sticks out, check the DIMM slots to make sure there are no little bits of anything down in the slots, and switch the positions of the two sticks when reinstalling them. Be sure to align the notches correctly, as they are offset. Firmly but gently completely seat the memory. Then, do a hard reset of the BIOS as follows.

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. During that five minutes, press the power button on the case for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

BurritoBroski

Reputable
Jun 16, 2019
What is the exact model of your memory kit?

Try powering off, pulling both sticks out, check the DIMM slots to make sure there are no little bits of anything down in the slots, and switch the positions of the two sticks when reinstalling them. Be sure to align the notches correctly, as they are offset. Firmly but gently completely seat the memory. Then, do a hard reset of the BIOS as follows.

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. During that five minutes, press the power button on the case for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.
Just hard reset my bios and the only thing i changed was to switch XMP on and put it on profile 2. Is one of my memory sticks dead? sorry still new to computers
Corsair Vengeance LPX 8 GB DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 Desktop Memory Kit - Black - 2 pack
Memory

That's not the model. Download CPU-Z, install it, run it, on the SPD tab select one of the slots you have memory installed in and the memory model should be displayed in one of the specifications fields to the right. Take a screenshot and post it here as follows OR simply post the kit model as shown.

This is how you post images here:

Reactions: DMAN999

BurritoBroski

Reputable
Jun 16, 2019
That's not the model. Download CPU-Z, install it, run it, on the SPD tab select one of the slots you have memory installed in and the memory model should be displayed in one of the specifications fields to the right. Take a screenshot and post it here as follows OR simply post the kit model as shown.

This is how you post images here:

memory spd i got an error when i tried putting it in an image but ill just link to imgur

What does it show if you choose slot 1 from the drop menu?

You probably got an error because you didn't read the tutorial I linked you to that specifically says this in the very first paragraph:

To begin with, for any post you wish to embed images in, you'll need to first upload the images to an online hosting service or other web-attached storage service like a folder in your own hosting package if you own a domain name and have it hosted somewhere.

Also, the URL for any image you link to MUST end in an image format such as .jpg, .png, .bmp, or a similar supported image file format. Image links MUST NOT end in anything other than an image format, otherwise you must use a different method of linking, such as inserting "media" to link to a gallery of images rather than a single image.

For the average visitor I recommend using something like www.imgur.com or www.tinypic.com to host and link to images.

I think your problem has to do with either timings that are not suitable for Ryzen or memory that is simply not compatible with your other hardware.

Is there a reason why you chose the Profile 2 settings rather than the Profile 1 settings? Usually Profile 1 timings are the best ones for a given memory kit.

Have you tried manually configuring the memory using the Ryzen calculator?

Do both sticks work in both slots BY THEMSELVES? Have you tried switching each stick to the other slot with both installed?

BurritoBroski

Reputable
Jun 16, 2019
I think your problem has to do with either timings that are not suitable for Ryzen or memory that is simply not compatible with your other hardware.

Is there a reason why you chose the Profile 2 settings rather than the Profile 1 settings? Usually Profile 1 timings are the best ones for a given memory kit.

Have you tried manually configuring the memory using the Ryzen calculator?

Do both sticks work in both slots BY THEMSELVES? Have you tried switching each stick to the other slot with both installed?
When i only use one stick, they both work and when using XMP 1 it changes the speed of 2133 to 2800 mhz. When theyre both in, in any order, it goes to 2133 mhz even if XMP is on and 8GB hardware reserved. the timings are 15-17-17-35 and idk what ryzen calculator is but ill look it up

If you want an "opinion" rather than hard facts, I personally think I'd start with a better motherboard. That's an extremely low quality board from the very lowest Ryzen chipset, and it's of little surprise to me that it doesn't want to run things properly.

That being said, there's no way I can guarantee that your problem isn't just the memory, because it might be, but those should be fairly decent sticks, not high end by any means but certainly good enough that they should work with this system properly and since they do work individually, IDK, I think it's a board issue but it might not be. If you can return or RMA the memory for a replacement set, that might be the way to go to start with but I'd certainly try the Ryzen calculator FIRST because it might simply be a configuration problem.

One thing I would like to know, is what exactly you meant by this

I have unchecked the maximum memory in system config

BurritoBroski

Reputable
Jun 16, 2019
If you want an "opinion" rather than hard facts, I personally think I'd start with a better motherboard. That's an extremely low quality board from the very lowest Ryzen chipset, and it's of little surprise to me that it doesn't want to run things properly.

That being said, there's no way I can guarantee that your problem isn't just the memory, because it might be, but those should be fairly decent sticks, not high end by any means but certainly good enough that they should work with this system properly and since they do work individually, IDK, I think it's a board issue but it might not be. If you can return or RMA the memory for a replacement set, that might be the way to go to start with but I'd certainly try the Ryzen calculator FIRST because it might simply be a configuration problem.

One thing I would like to know, is what exactly you meant by this
Ive been having this issue for a while and alot of people have been saying to uncheck maximum memory in msconfig, ive just been doing alot of “quick fix” shit. Im new to computers and alot of this is just overwhelming man idk how to use the calculator. Im gonna look for decent MOBO’s as when i check the memory by itself it works fine but when i put both sticks in it MESSES up

Last edited by a moderator:
Number of cores and maximum memory should both, by default, be left unchecked. Those should never be changed or altered IN ANY WAY except in very specific circumstances for very specific troubleshooting purposes. Under normal troubleshooting conditions or normal operation, nothing in MSCONFIG should be altered AT ALL. If you want to stop or start services, or change the operational behavior of a service, it should be done in administrative tools services applet, not in msconfig.

So anyhow, yes, that should be unchecked and it should have been unchecked from the start. Was it not. Was there some amount there before?

I know you mentioned the BIOS updates, but lets verify. What is the current BIOS version shown to be running when you go to the main page in your BIOS startup configuration screen?

I personally would find a decent B450 motherboard and try the memory with that. I think you'll have more success than with that really cheap board. But if for any reason you still have an issue, I want you to be prepared for that possibility because there are no guarantees, EVER, even for the most experienced system builder or repair tech, when it comes to making a diagnosis of the motherboard or memory when something isn't working right, but is working. Much easier when something doesn't work at all.

Otherwise, you might want to simply take it to somebody who IS able to help try and configure the memory. I think I'd try a higher quality board first though but of course that's up to you.

BurritoBroski

Reputable
Jun 16, 2019
Number of cores and maximum memory should both, by default, be left unchecked. Those should never be changed or altered IN ANY WAY except in very specific circumstances for very specific troubleshooting purposes. Under normal troubleshooting conditions or normal operation, nothing in MSCONFIG should be altered AT ALL. If you want to stop or start services, or change the operational behavior of a service, it should be done in administrative tools services applet, not in msconfig.

So anyhow, yes, that should be unchecked and it should have been unchecked from the start. Was it not. Was there some amount there before?

I know you mentioned the BIOS updates, but lets verify. What is the current BIOS version shown to be running when you go to the main page in your BIOS startup configuration screen?

I personally would find a decent B450 motherboard and try the memory with that. I think you'll have more success than with that really cheap board. But if for any reason you still have an issue, I want you to be prepared for that possibility because there are no guarantees, EVER, even for the most experienced system builder or repair tech, when it comes to making a diagnosis of the motherboard or memory when something isn't working right, but is working. Much easier when something doesn't work at all.

Otherwise, you might want to simply take it to somebody who IS able to help try and configure the memory. I think I'd try a higher quality board first though but of course that's up to you.
Idk if this is the bios version but E7B07AMS.3EO and 1/22/19 build date. The maximum memory was always unchecked. And should i still mess around and learn the ryzen calculator stuff or overall am i better just buying another motherboard

BurritoBroski

Reputable
Jun 16, 2019
Idk if this is the bios version but E7B07AMS.3EO and 1/22/19 build date. The maximum memory was always unchecked. And should i still mess around and learn the ryzen calculator stuff or overall am i better just buying another motherboard

I just really dont have any money rn for anything decent.

Yep, that's the correct BIOS version that you should be on.

So, not sure what to tell you given your situation. I think you may have to simply settle for using a single stick of memory at 8GB for now, at full speed (XMP 1), until you can afford to either go after a different board, or RMA the memory, or whatever you decide you want to do. Sometimes we have to simply bide our time and deal with things the way they are until we can afford to make a move forward.

I wish I could be more helpful but if you are unable to at least try the Ryzen calculator to see if maybe you can get those sticks working on your current board then I'm not sure what other options you have aside from a different board or different sticks.

BurritoBroski

Reputable
Jun 16, 2019
Yep, that's the correct BIOS version that you should be on.

So, not sure what to tell you given your situation. I think you may have to simply settle for using a single stick of memory at 8GB for now, at full speed (XMP 1), until you can afford to either go after a different board, or RMA the memory, or whatever you decide you want to do. Sometimes we have to simply bide our time and deal with things the way they are until we can afford to make a move forward.

I wish I could be more helpful but if you are unable to at least try the Ryzen calculator to see if maybe you can get those sticks working on your current board then I'm not sure what other options you have aside from a different board or different sticks.
im gonna try and learn how to mess with the calculator and ram sticks tmrw, ill let you know if i find a fix so if anyone else in the future has it there will be a fix for em

TRENDING THREADS