Solution
Damn... maybe I shouldn't have cheaped out on my 144hz monitor :l - was the cheapest one and bought it a year ago.

Might just buy a new monitor and sell this one to a friend or something.

Honestly, it's not a bad idea. Sadly, there are a lot of older 144 Hz monitors without DP ports and they usually get sold at steep discounts and people don't always realize some of these things.

qazihashmi74

Honorable
Sep 30, 2018
I do not believe this monitor supports 144 Hz over HDMI. Unfortunately, proper DP to DL DVI adapters are quite expensive.
I don't get it, monitors don't have different refresh rates over different cables. The monitor supports a max of 144hz at 1080p so it will need a cable that also supports the same or higher refresh rate at 1080p to work to its limit.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I don't get it, monitors don't have different refresh rates over different cables. The monitor supports a max of 144hz at 1080p so it will need a cable that also supports the same or higher refresh rate at 1080p to work to its limit.

Of course they do. HDMI 1.0 and HDMI 1.2. 144 Hz over HDMI wasn't supported until 1.4b and that's only if the monitor is specifically designed to support 144 Hz over 1.4b, which most don't.

We keep a curated list of monitors that support at least 120 Hz over HDMI. See section 7.1.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/how-to-connect-to-a-120-hz-display.3268285/

qazihashmi74

Honorable
Sep 30, 2018

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Kentelope

Prominent
Sep 9, 2019
It's 1.4a, but most importantly, this specific monitor does not suport more than 60 Hz over 1080p.

This monitor comes up so much that it and similar BenQ monitor get their own section. It's the very first section since so many people have this issue with these two monitors.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/how-to-connect-to-a-120-hz-display.3268285/

Damn... maybe I shouldn't have cheaped out on my 144hz monitor :l - was the cheapest one and bought it a year ago.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Honestly, it's not a bad idea. Sadly, there are a lot of older 144 Hz monitors without DP ports and they usually get sold at steep discounts and people don't always realize some of these things.

Solution

Kentelope

Prominent
Sep 9, 2019

Well thanks for your input, seems like I'll be getting a new one. another whole in my wallet :)

This monitor seems to be quite popular and with good reviews, probably get this one.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B075D1B4SV/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&psc=1