FatatSteel

Commendable
BANNED
Apr 6, 2020
Please keep your new build discussion to 1 thread.
So i am going to buy my first gaming PC but i don't know what parts to get and need your help. My budget is 1300 for the PC itself. I plan to game in 1440p and 1080p high- ultra settings. I will have 2 monitors so u know what kind of power you'll need from gpu (monitors will be 144hz and 27inc). I am ok with either a ryzen or intel cpu but definitely a Nvidia gpu. I plant to game and stream and maybe make videos but idk, for sure gaming. Please send me a build so i have a layout to look at and find the parts that i want. I plant to play MW, Warzone, BF5, Metro, New Dying light, Far Cry, and other games. Let me know if you have any more questions so you can help me. And future-proofing it is a must so i wont have to upgrade soon (1-3 years)

Solution
Well for my parts i haven't ordered anything because i like to get everything at one time or i like to order all of my parts once. Ive decided on the 3700x but i heard the intel 10600k is out and it might be better but idk. For the mobo I'm getting some random msi gaming max for now until the b550 comes out then il return the mobo then and buy the b550. Ram is trident z rgb 3600 cl16 16gb. Case is the h710 or meshify c when it is back in stock. Psu i yet to be determined because they are all out of stock or on back order. And the gpu is the rtx 2070s or the rtx 2060s depending on if i want to buy cheap now and sell it later on for the 3070s or the 3080ti. Please can you clarify if the 10600k is a better deal than the 3700x

No...

FatatSteel

Commendable
BANNED
Apr 6, 2020
So i am going to buy my first gaming PC but i don't know what parts to get and need your help. My budget is 1300 for the PC itself. I plan to game in 1440p and 1080p high- ultra settings. I will have 2 monitors so u know what kind of power you'll need from gpu (monitors will be 144hz and 27inc). I am ok with either a ryzen or intel cpu but definitely a Nvidia gpu. I plant to game and stream and maybe make videos but idk, for sure gaming. Please send me a build so i have a layout to look at and find the parts that i want. I plant to play MW, Warzone, BF5, Metro, New Dying light, Far Cry, and other games. Let me know if you have any more questions so you can help me. And future-proofing it is a must so i wont have to upgrade soon (1-3 years)

i7-9700k is on sale right now. Might go a little lower at the end of the month when the 10th Gen drops.
AIO CPU Cooler
RTX 2070 Super
or better
DDR4 16GB or 32GB (Dual Channel or Quad Channel)
650W + 80 PLUS PSU or higher
SSD for OS
HDD for storage

FatatSteel

Commendable
BANNED
Apr 6, 2020
I was about to start buying my parts for my first gaming build then i heard about the b550 mobo coming out in June from amd and the new zen 3 cpus from amd. Is it worth the wait ? my budget was 1300 for a gaming oc idk if i should wait then the parts that come out will be way over priced. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

IDProG

Distinguished
I was about to start buying my parts for my first gaming build then i heard about the b550 mobo coming out in June from amd and the new zen 3 cpus from amd. Is it worth the wait ? my budget was 1300 for a gaming oc idk if i should wait then the parts that come out will be way over priced. What do you guys think?
Yes, definitely.

Also, wait for other parts such as GPU. This year will be the most fierce battle of GPUs between Ampere and RDNA 2.0.

DO NOT BUY TURING CARDS. I am pretty sure you will regret it if you do.

FatatSteel

Commendable
BANNED
Apr 6, 2020
Yes, definitely.

Also, wait for other parts such as GPU. This year will be the most fierce battle of GPUs between Ampere and RDNA 2.0.

DO NOT BUY TURING CARDS. I am pretty sure you will regret it if you do.
Thats what i was thinking, i am going to wait for the new board and maybe the 4000 amd new cpus, but idk if they will be expensive when they release, and what is a turning card , i was going to buy a 2070 super but i might wait for the 3000 Nvidia gpus, i just don't know when they are set to release.

IDProG

Distinguished
Thats what i was thinking, i am going to wait for the new board and maybe the 4000 amd new cpus, but idk if they will be expensive when they release, and what is a turning card , i was going to buy a 2070 super but i might wait for the 3000 Nvidia gpus, i just don't know when they are set to release.
I don't think they are going to be expensive. They have to adjust their prices to Intel's Comet Lake-S CPUs.

Yes, that is the right decision. Buying Turing card is not wise, not when next-generation graphics card is pretty close.

What is Comet Lake-S? What is Turing?

All of them are codenames.

Comet Lake-S is codename for Intel's desktop 10th Gen CPUs from i3 to i9.

Turing is codename for Nvidia's RTX 2000 lineup.

Ampere is codename for Nvidia's RTX 3000 lineup.

RDNA 2.0 is not a codename. It's an architecture of AMD's GPU.

FatatSteel

Commendable
BANNED
Apr 6, 2020
I don't think they are going to be expensive. They have to adjust their prices to Intel's Comet Lake-S CPUs.

Yes, that is the right decision. Buying Turing card is not wise, not when next-generation graphics card is pretty close.

What is Comet Lake-S? What is Turing?

All of them are codenames.

Comet Lake-S is codename for Intel's desktop 10th Gen CPUs from i3 to i9.

Turing is codename for Nvidia's RTX 2000 lineup.

Ampere is codename for Nvidia's RTX 3000 lineup.

RDNA 2.0 is not a codename. It's an architecture of AMD's GPU.
Ah so u meant to say buying a 2000 series gpu is a bad idea rn, can you justify, when is the 3000 even projected to come out ?

FatatSteel

Commendable
BANNED
Apr 6, 2020
If you can wait for Ryzen 4000, I'm sure you can wait for RTX 3000, because they are said to come at a similar time.

Rumor said that the announcement would be held on September.
Oh yikes that's way to far away, i think i will wait for the b550 boards and get something like a 3700x and a 2070 super, because as of now i am on a cheap hp laptop and want a PC.

IDProG

Distinguished
Sell what, why exactly are you saying that its not a good idea to buy the 2000 series gpu ?
According to some rumors, a performance jump from Turing to Ampere is very huge.

Ray tracing performance will be insanely improved, around 4 times better.

RTX 3060 will have around the same RT performance as 2080 Ti.

The rumor also says that Turing is just (and I quote) "a guinea pig generation". It is an experimental generation meant to showcase the earliest of stages of ray tracing and to give developers some time to implement ray tracing mechanism to games. Turing is expected to age like Kepler, a codename for GTX 600 and 700 series (spoiler alert: Kepler did not age very well, and got replaced by Maxwell, codename for GTX 900 series, rather quickly).

Also, since Nvidia will have to battle against AMD in GPU part, expect the price of Ampere to be very competitive, as well.

It is said that RTX 3080 Ti will have around 20-21 TFLOPs of FP32 performance. In comparison, RTX 2080 Ti only has 13.4 TFLOPs, and RTX 2070 Super only has 9.1 TFLOPs.

I really don't recommend buying RTX 2000 series cards, not now.

I have felt buyers' remorse very many times, so I know very well how it feels.

I bought Sony Xperia Z1 smartphone when Xperia Z2 had everything that I wanted (IPS display, stereo speakers, smaller bezel, bigger screen).

I bought Oneplus 6 when Oneplus 7 Pro had everything that I wanted (full-screen display, stereo speakers, better battery, on-display fingerprint scanner).

But, in the end, I can't force you. Choose wisely what you will do next.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Because a few more $ will get you a few more fps that you can't use and will never see because it's well above the refresh rate of your monitor.

There's only one reason to wait. Covid-19. It's got prices all out of whack with demand and no supply. Ebay is selling the 2070 Super for over $700, Amazon has motherboards that normally cost $250 selling for over $700 etc. So by the time all this blows over, it'll almost be time for the B550 to drop. (Ryzen 4000 series maybe October) IF it does drop on July 16th as originally intended by AMD. But even that's not guaranteed as the workforce to create and ship the boards is also not at work, or just starting to get back to work, so everything is up in the air atm.

As far as Intel goes, 10th Gen is a revamp, of a revamp of a Skylake cpu with a couple more cpus with a couple more cores and some adding hyperthreading. Still the same 14nm process. And they are supposedly dropping prices. But you'll still need to buy a 400 series mobo, the 300 series is dead in the water with 9th gen.

So you can try to build a pc now, but may end up overpaying, or wait til it settles down and the regular stores get stock back on and sales going, or wait a little longer and hope that the next release is worth the wait.

Last edited:

FatatSteel

Commendable
BANNED
Apr 6, 2020
Because a few more $ will get you a few more fps that you can't use and will never see because it's well above the refresh rate of your monitor.

There's only one reason to wait. Covid-19. It's got prices all out of whack with demand and no supply. Ebay is selling the 2070 Super for over $700, Amazon has motherboards that normally cost $250 selling for over $700 etc. So by the time all this blows over, it'll almost be time for the B550 to drop. (Ryzen 4000 series maybe October) IF it does drop on July 16th as originally intended by AMD. But even that's not guaranteed as the workforce to create and ship the boards is also not at work, or just starting to get back to work, so everything is up in the air atm.

As far as Intel goes, 10th Gen is a revamp, of a revamp of a Skylake cpu with a couple more cpus with a couple more cores and some adding hyperthreading. Still the same 14nm process. And they are supposedly dropping prices. But you'll still need to buy a 400 series mobo, the 300 series is dead in the water with 9th gen.

So you can try to build a pc now, but may end up overpaying, or wait til it settles down and the regular stores get stock back on and sales going, or wait a little longer and hope that the next release is worth the wait.
See the thing is that i want to know if the b550 boards are worth the wait over the x570 because when paulshardware did a review the only difference between the two was that the x570 had a faster speed on something for the chipset i think, so i think since i want a PC now i should buy it. Parts are only going to get more expensive and the longer i wait the more things go out of stock. Do u think the b550 is worth waiting for ? over the x570

FatatSteel

Commendable
BANNED
Apr 6, 2020
According to some rumors, a performance jump from Turing to Ampere is very huge.

The rumor also says that Turing is just (and I quote) "a guinea pig generation". It is an experimental generation meant to showcase the earliest of stages of ray tracing and to give developers some time to implement ray tracing mechanism to games. Turing is expected to age like Kepler, a codename for GTX 600 and 700 series (spoiler alert: Kepler did not age very well, and got replaced by Maxwell, codename for GTX 900 series, rather quickly).

Also, since Nvidia will have to battle against AMD in GPU part, expect the price of Ampere to be very competitive, as well.

It is said that RTX 3080 Ti will have around 20-21 TFLOPs of FP32 performance. In comparison, RTX 2080 Ti only has 13.4 TFLOPs, and RTX 2070 Super only has 9.1 TFLOPs.

I bought Sony Xperia Z1 smartphone when Xperia Z2 had everything that I wanted (IPS display, stereo speakers, smaller bezel, bigger screen).

I bought Oneplus 6 when Oneplus 7 Pro had everything that I wanted (full-screen display, stereo speakers, better battery, on-display fingerprint scanner).

AH so i have an idea, if i can find the gpu at bestbuy i would prob buy and return it every month until the 3000 series comes out, i woult peob buy the x570 because it seem the better choice over the b550 and a 3700x with the 2070s but will do the return idea so i wont lose money and can but the 3000 series

FatatSteel

Commendable
BANNED
Apr 6, 2020

Or i would even just buy return and buy a 2060s until the 3000 comes out. that way i wont lose a lot of money

FatatSteel

Commendable
BANNED
Apr 6, 2020
So from my last thread, i decided to wait for the new b550 boards for my 3700x that i will buy on June 16th. I could buy a x570 rn but id be paying for an annoying mobo fan and features that i will never use. Now for the gpu, many said that 2000 series is and like the 2070s i was going to buy. They said i should wait for the 3000 series but at this point, i have put off building my gaming rig for like 2 years and don't want to wait anymore. So this is my plan, wait for the b550 board and buy it along with the 3700x and get a 2070s at that time also. What do you guys think? I could also wait for the zen3 cpu but that is a long time away and even if i would cell my cpu for a 4000 series cou i can because my mobo will support it. Now for am5 i know that the 4000 cpus will be the last to support am4 but waiting that long is going to kill me. Please post your thoughts and suggestions so i can have as much info to think on as i can. Thanks in advance

So from my last thread, i decided to wait for the new b550 boards for my 3700x that i will buy on June 16th. I could buy a x570 rn but id be paying for an annoying mobo fan and features that i will never use. Now for the gpu, many said that 2000 series is and like the 2070s i was going to buy. They said i should wait for the 3000 series but at this point, i have put off building my gaming rig for like 2 years and don't want to wait anymore. So this is my plan, wait for the b550 board and buy it along with the 3700x and get a 2070s at that time also. What do you guys think? I could also wait for the zen3 cpu but that is a long time away and even if i would cell my cpu for a 4000 series cou i can because my mobo will support it. Now for am5 i know that the 4000 cpus will be the last to support am4 but waiting that long is going to kill me. Please post your thoughts and suggestions so i can have as much info to think on as i can. Thanks in advance
If you do the build your planning you will be set for a few years.... The 7% increase in next gens cpus wont be worth the wait i promise and like you said you can always just buy a new cpu when it's released and sell the old... As for combatiblity no one really knows from what i read the newer am4 boards "NEWER LIKE JUST RELEASED" boards will support the "First" and only first launch of am5 cpus

FatatSteel

Commendable
BANNED
Apr 6, 2020
If you do the build your planning you will be set for a few years.... The 7% increase in next gens cpus wont be worth the wait i promise and like you said you can always just buy a new cpu when it's released and sell the old... As for combatiblity no one really knows from what i read the newer am4 boards "NEWER LIKE JUST RELEASED" boards will support the "First" and only first launch of am5 cpus
wait how would they support the new am5 cpus? they are 2 different chipsets. And how long do your think that built will last me before i have to upgrade the gpu, cpu, mobo? And what about the gpu? Im very scared that the new 3000 series will absolutely crush my 2070s by only the 3060 from what I've heard. if that the case il hold my 2070s and sell it and buy the 3080ti or something when the time comes.

That's the problem with waiting for new hardware. There's always something better right around the corner, so you can play a perpetual waiting game.

Will the 3xxx outperform the 2xxx, yes of course. Will that all of a sudden make the 2xxx any less capable than it is now, absolutely not.

If you feel the need for a new rig, by all means build now. If you want to keep waiting for the next best thing, go ahead. But you could be waiting for a long time.

FatatSteel

Commendable
BANNED
Apr 6, 2020
That's the problem with waiting for new hardware. There's always something better right around the corner, so you can play a perpetual waiting game.

Will the 3xxx outperform the 2xxx, yes of course. Will that all of a sudden make the 2xxx any less capable than it is now, absolutely not.

If you feel the need for a new rig, by all means build now. If you want to keep waiting for the next best thing, go ahead. But you could be waiting for a long time.
So u think the 3700x and the 2070super is a good fit and match? even when the new 4000 cpu and the new 3000 rtx come out? some one on my other forum said "I promise you will have buyers remorse if u buy a 2070s" idk tho man i know i am sick of waiting tho