[SOLVED] Need help with my First Gaming Build

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FatatSteel

Commendable
BANNED
Apr 6, 2020
Please keep your new build discussion to 1 thread.
So i am going to buy my first gaming PC but i don't know what parts to get and need your help. My budget is 1300 for the PC itself. I plan to game in 1440p and 1080p high- ultra settings. I will have 2 monitors so u know what kind of power you'll need from gpu (monitors will be 144hz and 27inc). I am ok with either a ryzen or intel cpu but definitely a Nvidia gpu. I plant to game and stream and maybe make videos but idk, for sure gaming. Please send me a build so i have a layout to look at and find the parts that i want. I plant to play MW, Warzone, BF5, Metro, New Dying light, Far Cry, and other games. Let me know if you have any more questions so you can help me. And future-proofing it is a must so i wont have to upgrade soon (1-3 years)

Solution
Well for my parts i haven't ordered anything because i like to get everything at one time or i like to order all of my parts once. Ive decided on the 3700x but i heard the intel 10600k is out and it might be better but idk. For the mobo I'm getting some random msi gaming max for now until the b550 comes out then il return the mobo then and buy the b550. Ram is trident z rgb 3600 cl16 16gb. Case is the h710 or meshify c when it is back in stock. Psu i yet to be determined because they are all out of stock or on back order. And the gpu is the rtx 2070s or the rtx 2060s depending on if i want to buy cheap now and sell it later on for the 3070s or the 3080ti. Please can you clarify if the 10600k is a better deal than the 3700x

No...
I think that's a solid build for sure. Is there even a potential release date for the new GPU's, or just performance data leaks?

How much longer do you really want to wait?

The 2070s will still hold value , so selling it down the road is always a viable option.

Buyers remorse, idk. I've never been remorseful of an upgrade. Especially a needed upgrade. Because again, better stuff is always coming out. Buy when it suits your budget.

I’ve been running an x570, 3800x and 2070S at 1440p. It’s a superb gaming pc, I’m 52 long time FPS player.

A 244hz monitor is a stretch for achieving that FPS rate depending on game title with a 2070S. Going to 144Hz 1440p is a great addition to game immersion and it’s very smooth.

FatatSteel

Commendable
BANNED
Apr 6, 2020
I think that's a solid build for sure. Is there even a potential release date for the new GPU's, or just performance data leaks?

How much longer do you really want to wait?

The 2070s will still hold value , so selling it down the road is always a viable option.

Buyers remorse, idk. I've never been remorseful of an upgrade. Especially a needed upgrade. Because again, better stuff is always coming out. Buy when it suits your budget.
From what I've heard its all leaks, many say, either late this year or early next year. But man the only thing keeping m,e from ordering all the parts rn is the x570 boards, I've heard so many bad reviews about them , and about how you are paying a premium for a stupid and loud chipset fan, and i don't want to pay for features i don't want to use. Thats why waiting until b550 is a good choice which is June 16

From what I've heard its all leaks, many say, either late this year or early next year. But man the only thing keeping m,e from ordering all the parts rn is the x570 boards, I've heard so many bad reviews about them , and about how you are paying a premium for a stupid and loud chipset fan, and i don't want to pay for features i don't want to use. Thats why waiting until b550 is a good choice which is June 16

The X570 board are amazing. That fan you're worrying about is not even spinning 90% of the time. It's a very good fan not even loud and it will work for years. If you have a good air cooling solution in your case that chipset can run without the fan even if it doesn't work anymore without the temps going too high because it still has a heatsink on it.

The bad reviews you saw are only a small portion of the people who bought them. The one who doesn't have any problems are not posting bad reviews. When you buy a part there is always a chance that something will not work correctly or it might be DOA. This is true for every brand and model and not only for motherboard.

What are the features you don't want on an X570?

Reactions: GarrettL

FatatSteel

Commendable
BANNED
Apr 6, 2020
The X570 board are amazing. That fan you're worrying about is not even spinning 90% of the time. It's a very good fan not even loud and it will work for years. If you have a good air cooling solution in your case that chipset can run without the fan even if it doesn't work anymore without the temps going too high because it still has a heatsink on it.

The bad reviews you saw are only a small portion of the people who bought them. The one who doesn't have any problems are not posting bad reviews. When you buy a part there is always a chance that something will not work correctly or it might be DOA. This is true for every brand and model and not only for motherboard.

What are the features you don't want on an X570?
Mainly paying the premium for the chipset that allows sli and crossfire. The b550 board is the budget board for the x570 for those who want to use either a 3000 series amd cpu or the zen 3 cpus with 1 gpu

Mainly paying the premium for the chipset that allows sli and crossfire. The b550 board is the budget board for the x570 for those who want to use either a 3000 series amd cpu or the zen 3 cpus with 1 gpu
The thing most people even most common builders don't relize is the pcie x16 slots dont support just gpu's. You can use almost any pci device in the slot. I used to use a pcie x4 wifi card in the x16 slot because it can and did great inrease the my download-upload rate greatly.

FatatSteel

Commendable
BANNED
Apr 6, 2020
The thing most people even most common builders don't relize is the pcie x16 slots dont support just gpu's. You can use almost any pci device in the slot. I used to use a pcie x4 wifi card in the x16 slot because it can and did great inrease the my download-upload rate greatly.
True well this is my build, 3700x with stock cooler, some 2070s with 16gb of 3600 16cl ram, 700w psu and a m.2 ssd and a had. I think for the mobo i will just buy some random b450 or x570 board from amazon and return by the time b550 comes out, that way i can use my PC and upgrade the mobo when b550 come along.

FatatSteel

Commendable
BANNED
Apr 6, 2020
So instead of buying a 2070s for my build like i intentionally was going to, i think i will get a 2060s and hold out with it until the 3000 series comes out. Then sell it and buy a 3070s or 3080 when they come out. Thoughts and comments?

What resolution and refresh rate do you play at? If you play at 1080p 60 Hz,144 Hz or 1440p 60 Hz, I would say get the 2070S right now, it's good enough for that. If you want 1440p 144 Hz or anything 4K, then go with 2060S now and then upgrade when you can.

FatatSteel

Commendable
BANNED
Apr 6, 2020
What resolution and refresh rate do you play at? If you play at 1080p 60 Hz,144 Hz or 1440p 60 Hz, I would say get the 2070S right now, it's good enough for that. If you want 1440p 144 Hz or anything 4K, then go with 2060S now and then upgrade when you can.
I haven't build my sys yet because i cant find a psu to save my life, at least a good reasonable one. But i would be gaming at at either 1080p and 1440p with a 144hz monitor. I heard that the 3060 would outperform the 2080ti so i don't think the 2000series is worth it but i need a card for now

I haven't build my sys yet because i cant find a psu to save my life, at least a good reasonable one. But i would be gaming at at either 1080p and 1440p with a 144hz monitor. I heard that the 3060 would outperform the 2080ti so i don't think the 2000series is worth it but i need a card for now
I highly doubt that the 3060 would actually outperform a 2080 Ti, they are all rumors and speculations and perhaps even a bit of hype creation by Nvidia. It is against their own interests to offer such a huge generational leap, which is why you see such tame or even performance gains between generations right now. Anyway, a 2060S will not do 1080p 144 Hz in each and every game, but the 2070 Super will in most games. But the 2070S will not do 144 Hz at 1440p in demanding AAA titles.

So you'll have to make a decision on the monitor, it wouldn't be affected by your PSU anyway, because the monitor is what will help you decide the GPU, and hence the PSU as well. It's often considered good advice to say get the fastest GPU you can buy right now, because there's almost always "something faster" round the corner, especially in GPUs. So I would say get the 2070 Super, unless you plan on 1440p 144 Hz, in which case you'll have to upgrade when 3000 series comes out anyway. Best way to resolve this is, like I said, choose a monitor.

FatatSteel

Commendable
BANNED
Apr 6, 2020
I highly doubt that the 3060 would actually outperform a 2080 Ti, they are all rumors and speculations and perhaps even a bit of hype creation by Nvidia. It is against their own interests to offer such a huge generational leap, which is why you see such tame or even performance gains between generations right now. Anyway, a 2060S will not do 1080p 144 Hz in each and every game, but the 2070 Super will in most games. But the 2070S will not do 144 Hz at 1440p in demanding AAA titles.

So you'll have to make a decision on the monitor, it wouldn't be affected by your PSU anyway, because the monitor is what will help you decide the GPU, and hence the PSU as well. It's often considered good advice to say get the fastest GPU you can buy right now, because there's almost always "something faster" round the corner, especially in GPUs. So I would say get the 2070 Super, unless you plan on 1440p 144 Hz, in which case you'll have to upgrade when 3000 series comes out anyway. Best way to resolve this is, like I said, choose a monitor.
When i mentioned the psu i meant there isn't a single one in stock anywhere. All my parts would be delivered within 2 weeks or less but the psu are all out of stock or back ordered everywhere. I think i will wait until b550 mobo comes out which is what i want and then i will have a lot more psu to choose from.

FatatSteel

Commendable
BANNED
Apr 6, 2020

And for the gpu idk man, they are talking a lot about the rt performance being better than the 2080ti for the 3060, i might just get a 2060s for now and play what ever it can handle and when the time comes for the new ampere gpus then upgrade and sell my current one. I think this is the best option for me rn

Did u get my previous reply?
Oh no not till going back through sorry ummm to be honest there's no telling how future proof any pc will be for all we know next thing that gets launched could could be complete aleien to all the even hard core of enthusiasts or it could be a complete let down and spiral all the way back to dos... How ever the build you had selected to be you new gaming pc wouldn't be a bad build for just a hard core gamer for the next 4-6 years... With a few updates as years go on.

When i mentioned the psu i meant there isn't a single one in stock anywhere. All my parts would be delivered within 2 weeks or less but the psu are all out of stock or back ordered everywhere. I think i will wait until b550 mobo comes out which is what i want and then i will have a lot more psu to choose from.

Oh okay, didn't realize that's what you meant. How would waiting for B550 motherboards affect your PSU choice, though? PSU choice is more or less dictated by CPU and GPU, and just a general idea of number of storage drives.

And for the gpu idk man, they are talking a lot about the rt performance being better than the 2080ti for the 3060, i might just get a 2060s for now and play what ever it can handle and when the time comes for the new ampere gpus then upgrade and sell my current one. I think this is the best option for me rn

If you really value RT performance and want to play games with Ray Tracing turned on, then I do think you should wait for next gen. RTX 2000 series was the first generation of RTX cards, and I would agree that RT performance in 3000 series might actually be significantly higher than 2000 series. But few games use RT right now, and the overall graphics capability of an RTX 3060 would definitely not be more than or even close to an RTX 2080 Ti. Pure RT performance might be better, definitely in terms of price to performance, maybe in pure performance as well.

FatatSteel

Commendable
BANNED
Apr 6, 2020
Oh okay, didn't realize that's what you meant. How would waiting for B550 motherboards affect your PSU choice, though? PSU choice is more or less dictated by CPU and GPU, and just a general idea of number of storage drives.

If you really value RT performance and want to play games with Ray Tracing turned on, then I do think you should wait for next gen. RTX 2000 series was the first generation of RTX cards, and I would agree that RT performance in 3000 series might actually be significantly higher than 2000 series. But few games use RT right now, and the overall graphics capability of an RTX 3060 would definitely not be more than or even close to an RTX 2080 Ti. Pure RT performance might be better, definitely in terms of price to performance, maybe in pure performance as well.
Your not understanding me lol, the mobo wont affect my psu choice but i cant get one now because all of them are either out of stock or on backorder. I meant that by the time the b550 boards come out maybe a lot of the psu will be back in stock. And honestly bro idek what rt is i just heard its a lot better on the 3000 series. Idk if my sys could even handle games at 1440 or even 1080 with rt on so idk if buying a 2060s now and upgrading it later on is worth it.

Your not understanding me lol, the mobo wont affect my psu choice but i cant get one now because all of them are either out of stock or on backorder. I meant that by the time the b550 boards come out maybe a lot of the psu will be back in stock. And honestly bro idek what rt is i just heard its a lot better on the 3000 series. Idk if my sys could even handle games at 1440 or even 1080 with rt on so idk if buying a 2060s now and upgrading it later on is worth it.

Okay, I see what you mean. Ray Tracing is basically a new type of rendering, which is indeed supposed to look a lot better than what has been used so far in games, which I think is called rasterization. But RT requires different and more powerful hardware to be able to run fast enough to render games as you play them, which is why the RTX GPUs have RT cores which perform RT much better than the normally used 'CUDA cores' in Nvidia GPUs. Anyways, the RTX 2000 is the first generation of Nvidia GPUs that have these RT cores, and though Ray Tracing by itself is not a new technique, RT cores in mainstream GPUs is indeed something new, and hence the generational leaps should, ideally, be much higher in the first few generations.

Anyways, what are the parts you have decided on/ordered as of now? RT doesn't really need any special hardware except a GPU that is powerful enough to run RT efficiently, which is why RTX GPUs are necessary for games that use RT. However, an RTX 2060 is, in the RT world, the entry level GPU, so with an RTX 2060 you'll only be running with Ray Tracing on low settings, everything else can be high or ultra. To run RT at the highest settings in the most demanding games, you'd actually want an RTX 2080 or 2080 Ti, even at 1080p.

FatatSteel

Commendable
BANNED
Apr 6, 2020
Okay, I see what you mean. Ray Tracing is basically a new type of rendering, which is indeed supposed to look a lot better than what has been used so far in games, which I think is called rasterization. But RT requires different and more powerful hardware to be able to run fast enough to render games as you play them, which is why the RTX GPUs have RT cores which perform RT much better than the normally used 'CUDA cores' in Nvidia GPUs. Anyways, the RTX 2000 is the first generation of Nvidia GPUs that have these RT cores, and though Ray Tracing by itself is not a new technique, RT cores in mainstream GPUs is indeed something new, and hence the generational leaps should, ideally, be much higher in the first few generations.

Anyways, what are the parts you have decided on/ordered as of now? RT doesn't really need any special hardware except a GPU that is powerful enough to run RT efficiently, which is why RTX GPUs are necessary for games that use RT. However, an RTX 2060 is, in the RT world, the entry level GPU, so with an RTX 2060 you'll only be running with Ray Tracing on low settings, everything else can be high or ultra. To run RT at the highest settings in the most demanding games, you'd actually want an RTX 2080 or 2080 Ti, even at 1080p.

Well for my parts i haven't ordered anything because i like to get everything at one time or i like to order all of my parts once. Ive decided on the 3700x but i heard the intel 10600k is out and it might be better but idk. For the mobo I'm getting some random msi gaming max for now until the b550 comes out then il return the mobo then and buy the b550. Ram is trident z rgb 3600 cl16 16gb. Case is the h710 or meshify c when it is back in stock. Psu i yet to be determined because they are all out of stock or on back order. And the gpu is the rtx 2070s or the rtx 2060s depending on if i want to buy cheap now and sell it later on for the 3070s or the 3080ti. Please can you clarify if the 10600k is a better deal than the 3700x

FatatSteel

Commendable
BANNED
Apr 6, 2020

I just wish i can order my parts but its one part that is keeping me from building my rig and its the psu. Ive always been told that evga and corsair are the best brands because of their quality and efficient psu but none of them you can order as of now.

No, the 10600K is not better than the 3700X. Simply put, the 10600K has fewer cores, it will most likely need a far more expensive motherboard for overclocking, and that motherboard will support at most one more generation after the 10th gen. The 3700X has more cores, will run on cheaper B550 boards, which will probably support more future Ryzen generations, if the B550 chipset follows past AMD chipsets' trends. Also, you'll need a separate cooler for the 10600K, it doesn't come with a stock cooler, while the 3700X comes with a decent stock cooler that I think has RGB as well. If you want a 3700X-equivalent from Intel, you need to look at the i7 10700K, which will cost more, and still have all the other disadvantages of going with Intel(motherboard, cooler, chipset support).

I just wish i can order my parts but its one part that is keeping me from building my rig and its the psu. Ive always been told that evga and corsair are the best brands because of their quality and efficient psu but none of them you can order as of now.

Don't trust a brand name blindly - all PSU brands have good and bad power supplies, so you'll have to look into specific models. Seasonic also has good power supplies, if they are available in your region. I would say use this PSU Tier list for reference on which PSU is good and which isn't. Considering your PC, I would say don't get a PSU that is below Tier A. That would mean getting a G2, P2, T2, GM or PS unit from EVGA, or a Corsair RMx, RM, HX(750W or more) or AX unit. Seasonic's Focus Plus units are also good enough for your PC. If there's a chance you might get a 3080 Ti, I would say 750 W should be the ideal choice.

Solution

FatatSteel

Commendable
BANNED
Apr 6, 2020
No, the 10600K is not better than the 3700X. Simply put, the 10600K has fewer cores, it will most likely need a far more expensive motherboard for overclocking, and that motherboard will support at most one more generation after the 10th gen. The 3700X has more cores, will run on cheaper B550 boards, which will probably support more future Ryzen generations, if the B550 chipset follows past AMD chipsets' trends. Also, you'll need a separate cooler for the 10600K, it doesn't come with a stock cooler, while the 3700X comes with a decent stock cooler that I think has RGB as well. If you want a 3700X-equivalent from Intel, you need to look at the i7 10700K, which will cost more, and still have all the other disadvantages of going with Intel(motherboard, cooler, chipset support).

Don't trust a brand name blindly - all PSU brands have good and bad power supplies, so you'll have to look into specific models. Seasonic also has good power supplies, if they are available in your region. I would say use this PSU Tier list for reference on which PSU is good and which isn't. Considering your PC, I would say don't get a PSU that is below Tier A. That would mean getting a G2, P2, T2, GM or PS unit from EVGA, or a Corsair RMx, RM, HX(750W or more) or AX unit. Seasonic's Focus Plus units are also good enough for your PC. If there's a chance you might get a 3080 Ti, I would say 750 W should be the ideal choice.
Thank you, i appreciate all the help and for you have provided. Last question, what are your thoughts on me getting a 2060s now and upgrading to a 3070s or 3080 ti or just 3080. I plant to game on a lot of games on either 1080 now and later when i get a 1440p monitor and then use my 1080 as a second monitor. Do you think my plan makes sense or should i buy a 2070s which is what i can afford rn when i buy all of my parts.

Thank you, i appreciate all the help and for you have provided. Last question, what are your thoughts on me getting a 2060s now and upgrading to a 3070s or 3080 ti or just 3080. I plant to game on a lot of games on either 1080 now and later when i get a 1440p monitor and then use my 1080 as a second monitor. Do you think my plan makes sense or should i buy a 2070s which is what i can afford rn when i buy all of my parts.
I would say, for 1080p 144 Hz and 1440p 60 Hz, the 2070S is good enough. So if you are fine with getting 60-90 FPS when you upgrade to 1440p, then you should get the 2070S and play whatever you want. But if you want 144 FPS on 1440p as well, then go with 2060S right now and upgrade later.