Question Need Help With my Hz on my TV in Games

LilGreenBean

Commendable
Apr 19, 2019
Okay so I just made an insane overclock on my smart TV that I'm using as one of my monitors for gaming. I managed to lower the resolution a lot and squeeze 88 extra Hz out of it. (Insane ik) But, I saw that some cables can limit my frames. Right now I'm pretty sure I have a HDMI 1.2. (I heard that those can only do 60 fps.) Does that mean if I got an HDMI 2.0 that I could get either 120/144 fps? That's the main question.

Last edited:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
To make your plan work, besides the HDMI cable, the HDMI ports on your GPU and TV also must be HDMI 2.0.

If one of the ports (GPU or TV) is HDMI 1.2 while other is HDMI 1.4 and you use HDMI 2.0 cable, you'd be still limited to the max what HDMI 1.2 can do (e.g 120 Hz @ 720p or 60 Hz @ 1080p).

LilGreenBean

Commendable
Apr 19, 2019
To make your plan work, besides the HDMI cable, the HDMI ports on your GPU and TV also must be HDMI 2.0.

If one of the ports (GPU or TV) is HDMI 1.2 while other is HDMI 1.4 and you use HDMI 2.0 cable, you'd be still limited to the max what HDMI 1.2 can do (e.g 120 Hz @ 720p or 60 Hz @ 1080p).
Well i just got an HDMI 18 gbps cord and it doesnt seem to work. I know for sure my graphics card has it, but I don't know if my TV has it.

LilGreenBean

Commendable
Apr 19, 2019

Okay I just checked and both my monitor and graphics card have HDMI 2.0. Plus I have the appropriate cable too. I just don't know why my it isn't working.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Just because you manually OC'd the Hz of your TV doesn't mean that PC instantly sends same FPS rate to your TV. My best guess is that PC detects your TV make and model, including it's max factory Hz. And due to that, PC won't send any higher FPS to your TV than it's factory default says it to be.