Question Need help with my internet please

MrEleven1181

Honorable
Mar 7, 2015
I have virgin fiber optic broadband and have been getting 100 up and 7 down for the past year and a bit. Last week it started playing up would randomly cut off and slow right down to anything between 2up and 20up.
I called virgin and they said theres nothing they can do its showing no faults at there end.
So anyone have any recommendations what to try ? Also what is it ive got with virgin a router or a modem ? I was thinking about buying a 3rd party maybe asus replacement but i am not even sure if its a router or a modem ?

Plug directly into your modem and test the speed from there with a couple different Ethernet cables. If you are getting slow speeds then it is either the modem is bad, your line to the home isn't good, or you are being throttled. I would guess that Virgin says dload up to 100Mbps so they are able to cover their butts no matter what speeds you are getting.

Just been to my local pc shop and guy told me to run a cmd prompt and tracert and its showing multiple requests timed out and one of them is the second one so im guessing thats bad ?
Not always. Tracert is used to see the paths and number of hops from you to a specific address. It isn't uncommon for a timeout to happen at the second spot. If it fails after a certain point then you know that something is wrong at that location.

MrEleven1181

Honorable
Mar 7, 2015
I called virgin again and the woman this time walked me through instructions to change some settings from my browser and it seemed to get my internet back upto 110 up so hopefully it stays this way. Also just bought a tp link router ac 1200 not sure if it will help but ive just now connected it up. So it might help with the wireless side of things ipads etc

Latest posts