Question Need help with my PC upgrade

Mahnitov

Reputable
Jul 22, 2019
Hi :)

First to explane this : Im from EU , Bosnia and Herzegovina . average sallary here is 200 to 250euros. ! (i know my i5 is getting outdated but atm this is all i can do with money i have and thats why im looking for help on sites like toms and reddit .)

Ok lets start :D

For some time im trying to upgrade my PC.

Atm my pc comp is : i5 4460 3.2 , R7 200series , 8gigs 1333 ram , 1TB SSD , Crappy MSI power supply 240W , Motherboard h81m-r.

Components i will upgrade and i found good used parts with warranty.

GTX 1060 6gb - 12 months warranty - 140euros

2x8gb 2000mhz Ram - 80euros

Power - 730W - 25euros

Will buy SSD 256 GB in future atm RAM , GPU and Power are the things i need

Question is :

Will my CPU bottleneck (i heard i5 4460 and 1060 6gb are amazing combo )
Will my Motherboard support this GPU
And the last question is , is this Power overkil for this combo ?
Keep in mind i will be adding some SSD , some fans for better cooling because atm i only have 2 fans :D and its cpu cooler and fan from my r7 gpu haha

JaymeB

Reputable
Dec 22, 2015
Hi :)

First to explane this : Im from EU , Bosnia and Herzegovina . average sallary here is 200 to 250euros. ! (i know my i5 is getting outdated but atm this is all i can do with money i have and thats why im looking for help on sites like toms and reddit .)

Ok lets start :D

For some time im trying to upgrade my PC.

Atm my pc comp is : i5 4460 3.2 , R7 200series , 8gigs 1333 ram , 1TB SSD , Crappy MSI power supply 240W , Motherboard h81m-r.

Components i will upgrade and i found good used parts with warranty.

GTX 1060 6gb - 12 months warranty - 140euros

2x8gb 2000mhz Ram - 80euros

Power - 730W - 25euros

Will buy SSD 256 GB in future atm RAM , GPU and Power are the things i need

Question is :

Will my CPU bottleneck (i heard i5 4460 and 1060 6gb are amazing combo )
Will my Motherboard support this GPU
And the last question is , is this Power overkil for this combo ?
Keep in mind i will be adding some SSD , some fans for better cooling because atm i only have 2 fans :D and its cpu cooler and fan from my r7 gpu haha
That RAM you want to buy is 2000mhz and your motherboard only supports up to 1600mhz. It will still work perfectly fine, but you might be able to find cheaper RAM that is 1600mhz, your choice. Make sure whatever RAM you get is "ddr3", otherwise it won't fit in the motherboard. Other than that the PSU is a little overkill, but maybe that's a good thing for future upgrades.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's a reason that psu is €25. It's as bad, if not worse than what you currently own. 450w on 12v? It is so bad that the only reason it classifies as an ATX psu is the outer case dimensions. Any decent ATX psu will have 12v somewhat close to the psu rated power. My 10yr old design Seasonic 520w has 480w 12v for comparison.

The Zalman at 728w is considerably better, but how to classify one piece of junk better than the other? You really do not need such excessive power. You'd be far better off with a solid 450-550w than a crappy 750w. More watts doesn't mean better psu.

Fans use @ 2-3w each, ssd uses 15w at best, your whole pc will be running 300-350w if pushed hard to max, generally gaming in the 200w+ range.

Any cpu can get bogged down. It totally depends on the game code. Some games like CSGO you'll see upwards of 200fps averages, some games like Witcher3 you'll be looking at 60fps averages.

Cpu sets the fps limit. Gpu lives up to that or doesn't, according to detail/resolution settings. If that i5 is capable of 60fps in Witcher3, it'd take a bigger/stronger cpu to raise that limit, changing from a 1060 to a 2080ti won't change that, you'll still get 60. Any difference you'll see will come from the r7 to 1060 change where the stronger gpu is now able to get max fps on screen. So you'd see the 30fps to 60fps jump. It'd take using an i7-4770 to i7-4790k to see any fps gains above 60. And all games work like that. Fps set by cpu.

So with many games, that i5 is a good match at 1080p for the 1060, neither being strong enough to really out-do the other, but neither being weak enough to really crimp the fps. On average.

Mahnitov

Reputable
Jul 22, 2019
There's a reason that psu is €25. It's as bad, if not worse than what you currently own. 450w on 12v? It is so bad that the only reason it classifies as an ATX psu is the outer case dimensions. Any decent ATX psu will have 12v somewhat close to the psu rated power. My 10yr old design Seasonic 520w has 480w 12v for comparison.

The Zalman at 728w is considerably better, but how to classify one piece of junk better than the other? You really do not need such excessive power. You'd be far better off with a solid 450-550w than a crappy 750w. More watts doesn't mean better psu.

Fans use @ 2-3w each, ssd uses 15w at best, your whole pc will be running 300-350w if pushed hard to max, generally gaming in the 200w+ range.

Any cpu can get bogged down. It totally depends on the game code. Some games like CSGO you'll see upwards of 200fps averages, some games like Witcher3 you'll be looking at 60fps averages.

Cpu sets the fps limit. Gpu lives up to that or doesn't, according to detail/resolution settings. If that i5 is capable of 60fps in Witcher3, it'd take a bigger/stronger cpu to raise that limit, changing from a 1060 to a 2080ti won't change that, you'll still get 60. Any difference you'll see will come from the r7 to 1060 change where the stronger gpu is now able to get max fps on screen. So you'd see the 30fps to 60fps jump. It'd take using an i7-4770 to i7-4790k to see any fps gains above 60. And all games work like that. Fps set by cpu.

So with many games, that i5 is a good match at 1080p for the 1060, neither being strong enough to really out-do the other, but neither being weak enough to really crimp the fps. On average.
Tnx for answer , in the end i ordered Corsair 520W i paid it a bit more and its brand new , because i was reading on forums that u should avoid used PSU , yeah u can get some nice PSU used but its high chance u gonna burn all parts in pc soo its better to buy new. In the end i bought GTX 1060 6gb and that power sup

Now i need to get some money to buy 2x8 GB 2000mhz DDR3 which i will get from my friend who bought it new but it didnt work on his PC for some reason soo he is gonna give it to me.

and SSD at least 128gigs because i only play few games on my PC and then maybe switch from i5 to i7 4th gen even tho by the time i do that i will allrdy be leaving my country soo ill probably buy brand new PC with DDR4 because DDR3 is getting outdated by todays standards.

But now for next 12 months i think the pc i have now will be more then enough to run games i play : League , Warframe , CSGO , Some Assassin Creed games , maybe Witcher 3 , fallout 4 and thats preaty much all i will play.

Mahnitov

Reputable
Jul 22, 2019

The only part is that now i need to connect my PSU with all components :D and im scared but i have manual soo ill just folow instructions and do it slow , if i get stuck i have friend in shop who can do it for me in an hour , the biggest thing i need to do is uninstall all AMD software and replace it with Nvidia