Question Need help with my RTX 2080 Ti !

Apr 24, 2019
Hi All,

I built my PC few days ago, and when installing the 2080ti I decided to use the included metallic structural support for the card. Without paying too much attention while plugging the vga power cables into the card i probably touched the metal support and pushed it a bit into the 3rd fan (blocking it from spinning) I didn't noticed on the spot and ran it like that for probably 2 days, until i noticed the card reaching a max of 83-84 degrees which i found to be ridiculous given my case/fan setup. Last night I opened it up and noticed the blocked fan, released it and now the graphics card won't surpass 58 degrees even in the highest loads. My questions are the following:

- Will the high temperature (83- 85 degrees) affect the lifetime of my card, keeping in mind that I only ran it for lets say... 2 hours tops at those temps? also keeping in mind that (thankfully) i did not OC the card during that period

- Will the blocked fan be damaged if it tried to move for 2 days straight without being allowed?

- Apparently the 3rd fan which was blocked, resides right on top of the VRM modules, can these be affected by this issue?

Can someone with a bit more knowledge help me get a peace of mind with this? I would be devastated if something happened to a card that costs more than my mortgage...

Many thanks,

Razvan

Last edited:

Kkkk1

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
Answers:-
1. 83- 85 is well within the cards limits it can get to 105 before throttling itself back. Shouldn't be a problem at all.

2. So long as the fan is spinning freely now it should be fine. I don't know if it will affect the longevity of the fan but fans aren't that expensive if you need to replace it later.

3. As long as the other fans were spinning OK everything else will be fine.