Need help with network printer please.

Castagere Shaikura

Reputable
Apr 1, 2015
The printer is a usb Brother 5040. It is connected to the network server pc. My problem is trying to let 2 computers on the network print from it. The two computers have two accounts with different passwords. One for the Lab Admin(me) and the other Lab User. Now the computers print fine with the Lad Admin account. But the Lab User account can see the printer but not the usb port. Any help with this please?

On the computer where the printer is connected to, create accounts for all users which need to print to that printer. Give these users same user name / passwords they login to their own computers, then share the printer. Give everyone rights to print and manage the printer.

I cannot understand this sentence: "But the Lab User account can see the printer but not the usb port". Why this user needs to see the USB port, if it sees the printer? You don't share ports, you share devices / printers.

Castagere Shaikura

Reputable
Apr 1, 2015
Sorry i meant when i try to setup the printer with the Lab User account..The usb port is not listed in the choice list for me to pick it. But it is listed on the Lab Admin account and prints there fine. When i add the printer it shows up but the usb connection does not on the Lab User account.

If the printer is shared on another computer you don't set it up as a local USB printer but as a network printer with the \\computername\printer share name format.

Is it setup under Lab User? You keep saying you can't see the USB port, you don't need to see the USB port since it's a network printer. Exactly what happens when you try to print? Any error messages? if you are trying to just setup the printer for the user, how are you doing that?

Are the printer permissions set for the Lab User account on the computer sharing the printer?

Castagere Shaikura

Reputable
Apr 1, 2015